Interlude Two, Chapter Four

Zayn can't seem to make up with the boys. He'd thought Niall would be easy, but the kid is still caught up in that phase of copying his older brothers and with Harry not home yet and Liam still mad at him, he hasn't had any luck.

Louis sets off early to pick Harry up from camp, going alone rather than dragging both boys with them since it's a long journey and Liam tends to get travel sick at times. And so Zayn is left alone with the two other kids for the first time since everything had started getting messy. 

And he hates himself for letting them down, the guilt he feels higher than it's ever been because this time it really is his fault. There aren't any excuses or things to convince himself otherwise. He had made the choice to work overtime, he had made the choice to not spend time with his husband and argue with him instead, and he had forgotten about Liam's results day and maybe that one hadn't been a direct choice - but it was a result of those first choices.

And now he's paying the price. Because the second Liam comes down the stairs that morning and sees that it's only Zayn in the kitchen, he grumbles about something under his breath, turns and leaves the room.

And Zayn knows he should go after him, he really wants to - but then Niall is running down the stairs with far too much energy for eight a.m and his focus goes into the youngest instead.

"Morning Ni," he says with a faux sense of cheeriness because he doesn't really expect a response that isn't a pout and a grumble to mimic his big brothers.

But Niall has apparently forgotten to be angry this morning because he grins.

"Hi Papa!" He yells loudly, clambering up onto a stool at the counter with enough force that the chair almost falls over and lands on top of him as he tumbled roughly to the ground.

Zayn catches it before that can happen, reaching down to help the small boy up from the ground. "Jesus, Ni. Are you okay?" He asks, and the kid just shrugs.

"M'fine," he answers nonchalantly, before he's scrambling back up onto the chair again, practically bouncing in the seat with apparent pent up energy.

And Zayn really wants to know how on earth this child has always had such a constant stream of liveliness running through him that rarely ever dips but instead, he just stops to appreciate the way the ten year old is watching him with a trusting smile.

"What's got you so...bouncy?" He asks, even though he knows there never really is a reason with Niall. It's just how he's always been.

The kid shrugs practically up to his ears then changes the subject suddenly. "Can I have coco pops for breakfast, Papa? Daddy bought some more, 'cause Li ate all of 'em and it isn't fair," he says quickly, and Zayn grins, nodding.

He's barely opened the cupboard full of cereal boxes before Niall is changing the subject once again.

"And Harry's comin' home today! M'gonna give him a surprise, um, but I don't know what yet. Hey, Papa? I'm not mad at you anymore," he says quickly, the entire ramble just a whirlwind for the man. It takes him a few moments for his head to catch up with the kid.

Then he gives a small smile, filling a bowl with cereal and milk and setting it in front of the ten year old before he sits beside him. "You're really full of beans this morning, hm?" He says softly, warning himself another shrug as Niall shovels coco pops into his mouth. "And I'm glad you aren't mad anymore. I'm sorry I upset you in the first place, buddy," he adds quietly.

Niall gulps down his mouthful, legs swinging back and forth erratically beneath the counter. "You didn't make me upset, Papa. But - but you made Daddy sad, and Liam. And that made me sad. But it's okay now, um, cause Harry's gonna come home and - and..." he seems to lose his train of thought before he slumps his shoulders. "Can we do some paintin' after breakfast?" He asks instead.