Interlude Two, Chapter One

"Stop pacing, Z. You're worse than Liam."

Louis watches with a small smile as he sets his coffee down on the kitchen side, reaching out to take the taller man by the hands, halting him mid-step.

He winces, looking nervous. "I don't even know why I'm so worried. It's just, if all goes well this could lead to a huge promotion and a pay raise and think of all the things we'd be able to do with the boys -"

Louis laughs quietly, reaching up one hand to brush off imaginary dust from the shoulder of his husband's work blazer. He doesn't even think Zayn's going to need the extra layer what with the summer sun bleating down outside.

He's been asked to cover a summer course at the university whilst most people are enjoying the time off, and as much as Louis would much rather have the man he loves at home with him, he can tell how much Zayn wants to do this.

So he smiles reassuringly and gives his hand a squeeze. "Babe, stop. I don't care about the money and neither do the kids, we just want you to be happy. And if this promotion is going to make you happy, then go for it. But we'll miss having you home," he admits.

Zayn sighs. "I just keep thinking...I mean, Liam's seventeen already and he'll be off to uni or work or whatever he chooses next year, probably not living here. Haz's almost the same height as me already. They're growing up and I want to make sure we have enough to take them out and spend time with them for the rest of the year," he says, and Louis nods in understanding.

Liam is due to start his final year of sixth form at the end of this summer, and he can't help but worry himself about the boy moving out or not being around so much afterwards...

As for Harry, the thirteen year old is already the same height as he is, though just as much of a softy as always. He's away at summer camp at the moment for the next two weeks and he misses the calm energy in the house amidst all the high-strung, hyperactive energy that is left behind without him there.

Of course, Niall is the furthest away from growing up. Ten years old and as happy and active as ever. He still has the occasion bout of tears or rough night due to the crash but it's like everyone had reassured him at the time - kids are resilient. Niall's dealt with everything in a way he isn't sure he understands but is thankful for.

Louis hums, stepping up onto his toes to press a kiss to his husband's cheek. "Just stop overthinking," he recites the line the man has had to tell him a thousand times in the past.

Zayn gives a small nod, taking a breath and slouching his shoulders a little. "How do I look?" He asks with a small smile, holding out his arms.

He grins at the sight of the man in his usual work uniform, dark hair push back from his face. "Like a scholar," he teases, and Zayn lets out a laugh, wrapping his arms around his waist and pulling Louis in to seal their lips together. "God I love you," he breathes against the taller man's lips, just as the loud footfalls of Niall burst into the room and they pull away.

"Harry's on the laptop!" He declares, still in his PJs with his hair scruffed up, cheeks pink from the heat and running around already, no doubt.

Louis smiles, ruffling the small boy's hair as they all filter through to the living room. The laptop is set up on the coffee table as always, Liam sitting on the couch with none other than Emily in his lap, his arms hooked around her waist as they talk to Harry on the screen.

He raises his eyebrows at the scene. "Emily! You're here...early," he says, because he hadn't even heard the girl come in.

She glances over her shoulder with a grin, and it hits Louis just how grown up both she and Liam are - all evidence of baby-chub gone from their faces, features defined and matured. He's watched the two of them grow together since they were twelve and it makes his heart feel all warm to know that his oldest has found such a pure, real love already.