Interlude Four, Extra Six

The Insulin Incident
[the one where we get to see the famous insulin incident that everyone keeps talking about — set between interlude one and part two]

Harry sits curled up in Louis lap after his insulin shot that afternoon; it's been one of those days where the eight year old is taking it particularly hard, cheeks tear stained and eyes sad as he watches the TV, one hand curled up in the front of Louis' shirt.

Zayn watches him with a sad smile; he feels for the kid, he really does. Diabetes is a huge thing for anyone to have to deal with but at eight years old? He can't even begin to imagine. And Harry deals with it surprisingly well most of the time, except some days, it just gets too much for him and he's understandably frustrated and fed up. On the days like today, it's all they can do to coddle him until he feels better again — hence the blankets and the cartoons and the cuddles.

Whilst Louis hugs the boy close to his chest, Zayn sits with an arm stretched over his husband's shoulders and his other hand looped around Harry's ankle, thumb dragging back and forth over the bottom of his leg over his pyjama trousers gently.

It's a warm day out; Mikey had come over earlier on and so he and Liam are in the garden talking about whatever it is twelve year olds talk about nowadays. Niall, meanwhile, had been noisily running around and playing games by himself, only quietening slightly when Louis had gently asked him to be a little less loud so Harry could hear the TV.

Now, come to think of it, Zayn hasn't heard a peep out of the six year old in far too long. Which makes no sense because Niall isn't this quiet unless he's sleeping, and there's no way he's tired himself out enough to drift off already.

He frowns, unease slipping into his stomach as he strains his ears to try and listen out for the boy in the garden with Liam and Mikey, but hears nothing.

"Hey," he says softly, drawing his husband's attention away from the cartoon on the telly. Louis looks up at him with a small smile that turns into a concerned frown when he sees the clear worry on Zayn's face. "Do you know where Ni went?" He asks — because the kid has run off before and ended up all the way at the park, and they had been lucky enough that he'd bumped into one of Zayn's students.

He doesn't think they could have that same kind of luck twice.

Louis shakes his head, then seems to notice the lack of childish racket in the background, sitting up a little and making Harry jump a little before the eight year old looks up at his parents with a frown.

"Ni?" Louis calls out, and they all stay quiet for a few seconds, waiting for a reply.

When nothing comes, Zayn tries to appease his husband's panicked expression with a small smile, leaning forward to kiss him on the forehead before standing with a small groan after being in the same position for so long.

"I'll go see where he's got to. He's probably just out in the garden with the boys, you know he's going through a thing of following Liam around at the moment.

That much is true, much to Liam's disdain (though Zayn can tell the boy secretly loves having the little shadow following him around constantly). He tries to use that fact to ease his own worry.

Louis nods and settles Harry back against his chest, fingers carding through the boys hair. "Maybe they should start coming in now anyway, it's the hottest part of the day and I don't want another case of sunstroke with Li," he says with a small smile, looking more relaxed at Zayn's words.