Part Two, Chapter Ten

Zayn panics when he can't find Niall. He only steps out of the room for a moment to talk to Louis about how picking Liam up from school had gone, and when he returns to the living room, the little blond is nowhere to be seen, Lego abandoned over the carpet and TV still playing cartoons.

He curses to himself and makes sure to double check that the front door hasn't been opened again when he decides to check in Liam's room, just in case the eight year old has wandered off up there.

And when he cracks open Liam's door, he's met with the precious sight of their oldest and youngest cuddled up in bed together. Niall curled up small and nuzzled into Liam's front, Liam's arms wrapped around his little brother with his face buried into his hair. Both are fast asleep and he feels like his heart might just burst in his chest at the sight.

Louis comes up the stairs with a inquisitive frown, but Zayn just holds a quietening finger to his lips and shakes his head, waving the man over. He smiles softly when he sees the bed.

"You know Niall's gonna be up all night now, don't you?" He remarks lightly, and Zayn lets out a quiet chuckle, closing the door softly as they step out into the hall.

"Don't ruin it," he says, making his husband crack a smile before it falls again. "Hey. What's wrong, love?"

He can't help but feel like he has to keep a close eye on his husband lately. The way he talks down on himself is worrying, and every time he looks less than happy, Zayn feels the worry setting in.

But Louis just smiles a little sadly, shaking his head. "I don't know...I'm glad Liam's getting some sleep in finally but we do need to talk to him later about everything. He can't keep it all in anymore," he says, and Zayn nods in definite agreement.

And so a few hours pass before they decide they have to go up and wake the boys so that they're up in time for dinner. Harry is home from school by this point, doing his homework in living room in front of the TV.

Zayn smiles as he walks into Liam's room to find the other two boys in the same position they'd been in when he'd left earlier on. He sits in the edge of the bed just as Niall begins to stir, the same way he always has. His face scrunches up and he lets out a small sigh, before he blinks his blue eyes open and smiles slightly.

"Hey baby. Good dreams?" He asks, and the eight year old gives a tired nod, climbing out from under the covers and moving from Liam's grip to sit himself on Zayn's lap, still half asleep.

The movement stirs the older boy, who mumbles tiredly before frowning and cracking an eye open. "Hmm. Hey Pops," he mumbles against the pillow, taking a moment to blink his dark eyes open fully before he offers Niall a small smile. "Hey Ni."

Harry comes hustling in then, with Louis close behind him, making Liam sit up with a groan.

"Why are we having a gathering in my room?" He asks, and Harry just turns to Niall, holding out his hand.

"Wanna come help me make my geography project Ni? It's gonna be a volcano, so you can help me paint it," he says, and Niall nods enthusiastically, taking his older brothers hand and allowing himself to be tugged out of the room.

Zayn watches the two youngest go with a small smile before Louis closes the door and moves to sit on the bed beside him, so they're both opposite Liam. The poor kid is still rubbing sleep from his eyes as he sits up against his pillow, covers over his crossed legs.

"You feeling any better, kiddo?" Zayn asks softly, and Liam gives what seems to be an honest nod.

"Uh huh," he mumbles, stretching a little. "I was just really tired," he admits.