Part Two, Chapter Five

Louis can't help but end up in a downward spiral of thinking the second he gets to go on his lunch break at work that day. He sits at his desk, fingers massaging his temples, lunch forgotten.

He just feels as though he has a lot to think about.

There's Niall and his little troublesome personality that seems to irk a lot of people, including his teachers. He's adorable still, and it works in his favour most of the time, but that doesn't mean that he gets away with all of his messing around and playing class clown.

Of course, all the complaints come to him from the eight year old's other teachers, and it makes him feel as though they're blaming him for not raising the boy to behave. It isn't like that at all - Niall knows how to behave.

He's a good kid, one of the best. He has a huge heart and so much energy that he doesn't know what to do with it all half the time. He always means well, he just doesn't know how to show it at times, and no matter how often they sit down and talk to him about how he must sit still and be quiet in class, the poor child just can't seem to get it right.

And then there's Harry with his recent coming out. Of course, it isn't a problem. Not even close to being a problem. But he feels for the boy, he really does, because he's sensitive and sweet and he's only eleven years old, and the last thing he wants is for anyone at school to be unkind to him for being gay.

He'd like to think that in this day and age, children would have been raised in a way that makes them instantly accepting to others sexualities, but unfortunately, that isn't the case. He's seen it in kids in his own classes over the years, at only eight and nine years old, kids using 'gay' as an insult.

And he just wants to shield him from that, from all the homophobia that still exists. He's experienced enough of it himself over the years, and it does upset him. Even now. And for Harry, being an eleven year old child...he just prays that he'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to face too much cruelty because of who he is.

Of course, Liam is just the cherry on top of the cake really. He doesn't know what's going on with the kid - first his breakdown at school and now the terrible moods and the snapping at everyone. He hasn't been so irritable since he was a kid, and he has never been so snappy with Niall before. Sure, the youngest is a handful but they all just know how to deal with him.

And so Niall had been upset before leaving for his trip that morning and Liam had stormed out of the house, and Louis really just hopes it's all some sort of teenage angst because he doesn't know what else it could be. Obviously the kid is putting too much pressure on himself with these exams, but he remembers being stressed out when he'd done his all those years ago and he'd never reacted so badly.

He can't help but worry that the fifteen year old's anxiety is getting worse again, which would be typical since they've not long let Gabbie go. He wonders whether she'll be able to book them in for another appointment at some point soon, just to let Liam get everything off of his chest since he doesn't seem to be wanting to open up to him and Zayn.

He eventually lets out a long breath, dropping his arms down on his desk at the front of his empty classroom what with all the kids being away on their trip. He's been on marking all day, and the hours have been dragging by.

After what feels like a lifetime of just thinking, he finally turns his attention to his untouched lunch and then the door flies open.

Cathy Gent, one of the year six teachers, is holding onto the handle, face pale and eyes wide and Louis instantly stands, stomach flipping because he knows something is wrong, something bad, something really, really -