Prologue

"Go on. You're parents might worry if they wait too long," the man handling the cashier kindly says to the two kids, not handing them the chocolate bars they originally wanted to 'buy' while her parents made a quick stop at the gas station's bathroom.

They both head back to her parents, frowning as they walked back after giving up, who were waiting patiently in their car, only wanting to go back home after a long day of camping.

"Where did you two run off to?"

"Nowhere. Just greeted the nice man hello," the older makes a quick excuse.

"Are your seatbelts fastened, kids?" The woman in her mid-thirties asks, only concerned for her seven year old daughter and her best friend.

"Yup," the little girl replies, looking to her best friend who sat beside her, his own seatbelt on.

"Then are we all ready to go home?" This time, the man behind the wheel asks his family, fastening his own seatbelt into place.

"Wait. Look over there!" The little boy exclaims, pointing to a not-so-faraway distance just by his car door.

"What is it, Chan?"

"My name's Chris, Minju. Chris sounds cooler," the boy corrects her, earning a chuckle from both adults.

"What did you see, Chris?" The mother of the girl asks.

"It's a toy plane!"

"Can we go grab it?" Both kids ask in unison as their eyes gleam with a sparkle, one that both parents could never say no to.

"Alright, go get it, but be careful, okay?" Her dad warns them both, his tone soft but definitely should not be taken lightly.

"Okay," they both answer. Unlocking their seatbelts, Chris opens the door not just for him, but for Minju, too. As they jump out of the car with ease (although the height was quite large for the little girl), landing safely onto the ground, Chris leads the way, making sure they're both safe from crossing the wide road.

They reach the other side, her parents watching them from their car window. Minju bends down to grab the toy plane, holding it tightly in her hands. Her eyes gazed over the intricate design on the small and simple toy. She was amazed by the mix of colors such as blue and white, along with the black line that crossed the small replica of an aircraft.

Chris leans down as he was quite taller than the girl, also inspecting the object that interrupted their travel back home. He coos at the shape, comparing it to the shape of an actual airplane from his memory when he came from his hometown, Australia.

"Isn't it pretty, Chris?" Minju asks, not taking her eyes away from the toy in her hands.

"It is."

Their moment was disrupted by a group of people in front of them drawing near. Thinking the pairs of feet they saw were aiming towards them, they look up but only to see that the people were not looking at them, but instead, looking above them.

They quickly listen to the words the people were yelling out.

"Move out of the way!"

"Look out!"

"Get out of the car!"

And before they could even process what was happening, a series of loud honks invades the silence of the small community, followed by even louder yells of people, but this time, they were more like screams.

The two kids look back. To their horror, the loud honking was the sound of the horn of a truck, a truck that's wheel had come loose.

Instinctively, Chris turns his best friend around, telling her not to look back. He knew exactly what was about to happen.

Ignoring her questions on why he did so, he immediately covers her ears as much as he can. He didn't care if it hurt because looking back would've hurt more than a minor pain in one's ears.

And there it was, the loud crash that Chris had been anticipating arrived. Due to his quick actions, Minju was only able to hear a soft bang, not being able to hear the horrid reactions of by-standers.

Chris couldn't help his emotions as he began to cry, still not letting go of the poor girl. Truthfully, Chris did not know what to do next. The boy was only eleven, his mind couldn't think of a way out of this. Not letting her see was the least he could do because seeing the death of your own parents was definitely going to be traumatizing.

"M-Minju-ah," Chris says after bringing his arms down, but stops as his breath hitches from fear. The little girl sees the tears her best friend had shed. Being only little, it was natural for her to grow curious and ask why he had been in such state.

But before she could ask, she was distracted by strangers running past them both, heading towards the accident she didn't even know happened. But she ignored it, seeming to be more curious in Chris' crying rather than what everyone was curious in.

"Why are you crying, Chris?" She finally asks, still not turning her back.

"I don't want you to see," he continues, lowering his head.

The scene doesn't go unnoticed by the convenience store worker. He sees the two kids and instantly feels a pang in his heart. He felt the need to help out the two children and acted on it.

As people ran to surround the accident, the worker walks up to the helpless kids, bending down to meet them eye-to-eye.

"Hey, kids," he first greets, noticing the crying lad. He thinks of a way to help them, his quick thinking coming handy.

"You're parents told me to take you guys home," he tells them. Luckily, the man had no bad intentions. Seeing the whole thing play right before his eyes, he felt pity for the two children.

"But my mommy is waiting for us in the car," Minju counters, almost looking back before being stopped by Chris.

"Look, I have those chocolate bars you wanted," the man says, raising up his hand which held two chocolate bars for them.

He brings them both inside the store which was pretty hidden from the sight. He tells them both to sit down behind the counter, quickly making a phone call to his boss, asking for an early leave.

While waiting, Chris sees the telephone at the other end of the store. An idea quickly popped into his head, suddenly knowing what to do.

"Minju, wait here. I have to do something. Don't move, okay?" Chris instructs.

As she innocently nods her head, Chris runs across the store, quickly picking up the phone and dialing his own mother's number.

After explaining the situation to her, Chris calls the worker over, handing him the phone for them to talk and running back to Minju.

"What's going on, Chris?" The now slightly terrified girl asks, seeking comfort from the boy as she took his hand in hers and played with his long, slender fingers.

"We're just going home, Minju."

wah, ohmy. pls never follow a stranger when they say they're going to bring u home. this is just a story. if that ever happens to u, run and scream bloody hell

oh and just a quick disclaimer that the rest of the story will be in second person and yes ik, the main character has her own identity but i did that just to make it easier and so that i don't have to keep on writing y/n, etc. u could totally switch it if u want to :))
only this and the epilogue will be in third person :))

Get It Right | Kim SeungminOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara