Chapter 10

~April 27~

"Hello?" Jungwoo sleepily answers the phone.

"Kim Jungwoo, why are you asleep? It's 6 p.m. and you're still asleep?" You scold him, completely forgetting about the time difference between New York and Korea.

You hear another groan from the other line, "Minju, it's 5 a.m. here. Would you quiet down? Your grandmother's still sleeping and I'm afraid your going to wake her up with that voice of yours," he scolds you back. You quickly apologized for being so disruptive in the morning, but got on with your point.

"Alright, but when she wakes up, could you ask her to call me?" You plead, missing your grandmother as the days pass by.

It's already been ten days since you've arrived in New York, and the homesick feeling was sickening. You wanted to see your grandmother so bad, but, at the same time, you wanted to stay with your friends. Everyday, you hoped that your grandmother would just magically appear in the penthouse when your day was over so you could tell her all the crazy things that happened each day.

You missed your morning walks with her, and, to be honest, you envied Jungwoo. You missed baking for her your favourite chocolate chip cookies, and eating a bunch then saving some for the following days. You longed for the time you spent with your grandmother when you were back in Seoul.

It was no lie that you were starting to worry even more. You started to worry about things you usually wouldn't worry about like how many bathroom visits your grandmother made, or how long it took Jungwoo to wake her up.

The boys would constantly tell you that as long as Jungwoo wasn't calling, everything was fine. But no calling could mean other things. What if they were both troubled?

Jungwoo sighs, "Okay, Minju. But you really don't have to worry. Besides, your grandmother and I are having the time of our lives," you hear him smugly remark, "Oh, and happy birthday, Minju. You are officially legal."

"Sweet of you to say, and thank you for that, Kim Jungwoo, but call me if anything seems strange. Now, go get your sleep, loser," you tell him, hanging up the phone so he could rest.

It was another boring day after you all finished your time at the hotel. Jisung and Jeongin had told you all earlier that they were heading out to buy some things. You wanted to come with, but they insisted you stay.

What was the use of a great place to stay when there was nothing to do?

But you started thinking—so far, Jungwoo was the only one to greet you on your birthday. Unfortunately, none of your friends had greeted you that day. You'd only realized after half the day's gone.

You tried to make the excuses for them; maybe they were too busy or had too much on their minds. But that's never happened before. The only time you guys have ever forgotten a birthday was a few years ago when it was Hyunjin's birthday. Other than that, you guys made sure to mark each others' birthdays specifically on your calendars and imbed them into your brains.

It saddened you once the thought kicked in, but you tired to not let that get in the way of your vacation.

Deciding to just let it be, you opted for taking a nap. As you were already on the couch, you stretched out your arms and legs, finding a comfortable spot.

——

"Minju," you were shaken awake. As you fluttered your eyes open, you saw all eight of your best friends, crouched in front of you as they struggled to keep their balance.

"Don't touch me," you mutter while slapping their hands away, a bit salty since they still haven't greeted you, "you guys forgot my birthday and I'm not happy about it."