Chapter 43

"Smile!" Chris says in the same tone a mother would, getting a shot of you and Jeongin with the puppies in each of your hands.

It was like a dreadful, Christmas-family picture that'd soon be placed into a Christmas card to hand out on gifts, except, in this case, it wasn't horrible. True, it was maybe a little awkward for the other costumers to hear a grown man exclaim to two kids of the same age like a mother of five children, but, nonetheless, Chris was happy that the two of you were willing to comply.

You held the two puppies carefully in your hands like they were at the brink of burning into a fine powder, a bigger smile replacing the prior every time they bobbed their small and fragile heads at your direction.

"Here are your drinks, ma'am, sir," the polite waitress announces, placing the tray of the nine plastic cups on the little, circular table in the corner where Minho and Changbin sat quietly, not really fascinated by the presence of the puppies.

But since they had nothing to keep themselves occupied with and simply just sat there, watching the rest of you enjoy what they couldn't, they did the favour of distributing your drinks, casually giving the puppies a little pat on their heads.

Minho handed you your drink—a cold cup of the typical latte. As you took your first sip, one of the black-furred puppies crawled onto your lap, making itself comfortable, and Minho crouched down beside you.

"I've always thought cats were superior, but today's an exception, I guess," he says, looking at you before patting your head like he did to the small animals earlier, but then leans forward to take a big gulp of your drink.

You give his arm a harmless slap, furrowing your eyebrows at him before wondering, "I thought you didn't like lattes?"

"I never tried them, but since you mentioned it—yeah, I don't like them," Minho cocks his head to the side innocently, moving back to his seat on the couch and picking up his typical choice of drink, an americano.

As Minho left your side, you played with the puppies once more; the big ones, and the small ones. Your eyes creased every time a puppy came into your sight, but amongst the litter, one especially caught your eye.

It was a small, dark brown dog, and its ears flopped downwards, even though it was wagging its tail, making it look sad amid the group of ecstatic little ones. Ever since you had come, you noticed it was sitting behind all the other dogs, not really engaging in the common activities.

Due to that sight, you felt the need to make sure it didn't feel left out more than it already was, keeping him on your lap the whole time and taking glances at it every so often.

"This one's fragile," you comment when Seungmin takes a seat on the ground beside you.

"It's pretty cute," he replies, slowly reaching out his hands and carefully wrapping his hands around the puppy's small frame, taking it in his own arms. You, once again, smiled at the scene, and you felt a warm sensation fill your heart immediately.

The doggo slept peacefully in Seungmin's arms as he rocked it like a newborn baby, the corners of his lips unintentionally curving upwards as time passed by. You were distracted by the soft and comforting feeling that took over you, and you wouldn't turn away even if the other puppies were missing your attention.

Seungmin eventually stopped moving, cautiously bringing one of his fingers to rub the dog's forehead, and, not for the first time, you melted at the view. It's gotten to the point where he caught you staring, but you remained unfazed and only gave him a look of endearment.

After a while, you realized Seungmin no longer had his eyes on the sleeping pet in his arms, but, instead, was looking at something in the near distance. You followed his gaze and a cup of cold americano was simply waiting to be drunk. Sadly, Seungmin hadn't even taken a sip of the bitter yet refreshing beverage, and the ice had started to water down its distinct taste.