Chapter 8: Takeuchi Koji

The four-day-training camp starts today, and you've already packed all of the things that you need to bring. Even though you had a terrible nightmare last night, you were feeling oddly energetic.

Since you woke up early, you baked cookies for the team. You decided to apologize to them for what happened, but you were having trouble thinking of an excuse.

You're already wearing your uniform, and you were transferring the cookies in a container when you heard the door bell ring.

You were cautious, but when your eyes caught a glimpse of a light blond hair, you opened the door wide.

Your heart started beating faster when you met Tsukishima's golden-brown orbs.

"Good morning, Kei!" You greeted cheerfully and you let him in.

"I'll finish packing the cookies and then we can go." You smiled at him and he gave you a worried look.

"You're oddly cheerful today, you were just crying last night," his voice was stern. You laughed weakly at him.

"Well, I had a nightmare last night. But I realized that it's just a dream." You tried to be optimistic. Because you understand that if you let it get to you, things will get worse. However, your first dream wasn't just a dream. That was a memory. A memory that still haunts you today.

"I'm pathetic, I had a dream like that just because of a doll," you muttered.

You sighed and you were just about to walk away and continue what you were doing before he arrived, but you felt a hand on top of your head.

You eyes widened at Tsukishima as he stared at you with a sad look. It's the first time that you had seen him like this.

"Frowning doesn't suit you," he said.

"...You're right. I'm sorry, Kei." You gave him a genuine smile.

—•—

"Sorry I'm late!" You panted at the door of the gym. You were on duty today so you were late for practice.

The team were looking at you worriedly, but was puzzled when you walked to Shimizu while smiling.

"I'm sorry for what happened yesterday, Shimizu-san. Please don't look worried, I'm really fine!" It's true, you looked fine, like nothing happened yesterday. They don't know if you're just really good at hiding your emotions or if you're genuinely fine.

"O-Okay, I'm glad." Shimizu smiled back at you, but she was still feeling anxious for you. All of them, actually. And now, they don't know if they should talk to you about it or not. They looked at Tsukishima, but even he looked conflicted.

Ukai and Takeda looked perplexed because of the weird tension, but soon, everyone started acting normal again.

Everytime someone approaches you, a weird atmosphere surrounds the both of you. But your senpais were trying hard to make you feel comfortable. And by the end of the day, you were feeling troubled and you felt responsible for creating a strange tension around the team.

It's like they were forcing themselves to act cheerfully to ease the tension.

"Ooohhh!" Hinata beamed at every room in the building where you were all gonna stay at for the rest of the camp.

"Don't get too excited, boke," Kageyama said with a frown.

You turned to Tsukishima, "I'll help Shimizu-san and Takeda-sensei prepare the foods," you smiled at him before you left the rest of the chatting players.