S E V E N

“I am a weak-hearted person who has built a strong wall around myself.” 

SEVEN: CONTRACT & DEFEAT. 

"HELLO,"

"Yes, Theodore Raymond speaking." The authority in his voice never failed to amuse me, making goosebumps blanket my arm and take me off guard. And even if he hadn't introduced himself, I would have guessed that it was his voice, one of a kind - thick, husky, and a bit of British accent. 

"Mr. Raymond, are the papers ready?" I came directly to the point. 

"Yes the contract is ready, when are you coming to sign them?"

"Um..." I said, looking at my watch and then back at the 'Operation Theater', "actually I won't be able to come, can you send the papers? And can it be a bit quicker cause the chemotherapy is going to start in two hours." 

"Okay, I'll send Christian. He will be there in an hour." He stated.

"Can't it be a bit earlier?" I hesitated while nibbling on my lip, sparing another glance backward. 

"No Ms. Hargrave, people have a business to attend to and their only job isn't to carry files to you." He said as a matter-of-factly making me grunt. 

"Okay," I said, ending the call not being able to cope up with his mood swings.

 Sometimes he's totally well behaved and chivalrous and other times he's rude. Gosh, he is suffering from a split personality disorder and I am going to handle that for an entire year. 

But right now I don't have free time to spare on him. I continue scrolling around the waiting room. The doctors informed me that the chemotherapy will start at two o'clock and me being alone here it's helping, just making me more nervous. All the staff from the NGO are busy in one thing or the other and Mrs. Smith would come after the school hours are over. 

"Aurellia Hargrave?" An unrecognizable voice says but when I turn around to face the owner of the voice, he turns out to be Christian. 

"Christian," I greet. "You got the papers?" I ask as he produced a black file and extends it to me. 

"That's why I am here," he said sarcastically and I nod, not having much time at hand. I quickly sign the papers with the pen I have been holding for almost half an hour.

 "Done." I declare and hand it back. 

"Okay, I have paid the bills at the counter so no worries." He smiles politely and I do the same but as gratitude.

 A team of doctors marches towards the operation room and I sit on the metal armchair, tapping my foot on the ground out of nervousness and uneasiness and worry. I felt a figure sit down beside me and gave me a warm smile, assuring one. 

I smiled weakly at Christian, knotting my fingers on my knee. Actually, Christian was a sweet guy. Tall built, broad shoulders, good looks, helpful, and comfort emitting out from him. Realizing I haven't even read the contract before signing, I asked him to let me have a read. 

I turned the pages as my eyes scanned them, double-checking as well. "Now I know how come such a beautiful girl agreed to marry my brother, " his eyes shined with mischief and in-joke and I rolled my eyes playfully. 

"As if girls aren't already falling head over heels for him," I stated, slightly astonished that how come I reacted so playfully and casually at him. 

"Yeah, that's true. But, now my big brother has got standards. And he isn't that easy to capture." His voice lacked playfulness.