T W E N T Y

I wasn't planning to publish this chapter this early but this wonderful cover⬆️⬆️
Made by AccioGoodBooks made me change my mind.

I couldn't wait!!

Thank you so much🤍🤍

TWENTY: CROWN & PROMISES

EVERY CLICK OF the heels echoed in my ears as I walked on the strip of the red carpet, down the aisle. My heart hammering and a decibel enhanced at every step. Maybe this wasn't my biggest fear but the consequences it led to were; commitment and bondage.

 I could feel my breath dropping as I tightened my fingers around Christian's arm. He was conventionally posing for the numerous cameras as I kept my eyes down and the veil, which felt like it'd slip off my head any moment, was gracefully keeping most of my expressions within the air in between me and the cloth. I don't know if I should be nagging about the pointed pins that kept the veil intact to my cranium or thank the camouflage it gifted. 

The garden was beautifully decorated but the expenses were kept to a minimum. There weren't crystals and stars falling from the curtain of the sky. Rather there was a wide view of roses as far as I could see. The altar was massive, it's pillars dressed in roses, tinted with various hues-red, peach, white, and all the colors between them.

The setting was breathtaking and serene but I forcefully kept my mouth shut from gawking,  threatening that my heart which was stuck in my throat would leap out. 

Christian placed his free hand when my fingers started twitching with anticipation and my nerve-wracking nervousness. 

"Breath and smile and repeat." He murmured, beaming a smile when a photographer passed in front of us to take the closure. 

"Not helping, man." I seethed out from between my clenched teeth. He just pressed his palm firmly to mine in return. 

I let out a breath from my mouth as my tension enhanced with each passing step and as we were just ten steps away from the elevated marble altar. 

The violinists and pianists were playing a soul quivering melancholy of 'A thousand years' and my heart soared within. This is harder than I conceived. 

"Christian, bring Lia here. Grandma has something for her." I didn't recognize the owner of the voice and my clogged throat wasn't helping either. 

Christian led me and we made a left turn. I looked at an old lady, in a wheelchair, under my lashes. She must be the grandma, my brain decoded. Now, we were five steps from the deathly altar. 

She was smiling ear to ear, her teeth shining pearly white and I wondered how it was possible for such an aged person.  I resisted myself from blaming her for this dramatic scenario. 

She motioned with her fingers for me to kneel down. 

With this heavy dress, do you want me to sit on the ground? Are you kidding me? 

Regardless, Theodore's mom helped me to sit on my knees, just beside the granny's feet. 

It was indeed a compromising situation. 

She looked at me with fawning eyes and I thanked the makeup artists internally. "Even the veil can't resist her beauty to ooze out. My grandson must be whipped and I can't blame him." She spoke lightly and chuckled, as I had to strain my ears to decipher the words. Nonetheless, I'd agree that she still had remnants of humor left in her system. 

"Aislynn, give me the crown." Her voice sent shivers down my spine. She spoke as if she owns the words, with full authority and knowingness. I see where Theodore gets his aura.