13

Nicholas

"Then Gen said maybe sometime we could work on our prophylaxis and heliocentrism essay together! She said we could do that together Niccccck." Nelson slurs almost tripping over a rock.

"That's nice," I mumble steadying him.

We were walking- well I was walking Nelson was stumbling all over- to his house. My plan was to make sure he was in his bed asleep not unconscious in some bush because of the amount of alcohol he consumed. It was Halloween for fuck's sake not New Years with my mom... Ok everyday with my mom.

"And then she kissed me, Nick! You know how looong I've been waiting for that one!" He laughs punching my arm.

"Yeah, I know. I remember the last four times you told me in the past 12 minutes." I say annoyed.

As we walk up to his driveway he leans all his 130-pound weight on me. It takes a lot not to shove him off and into the neighbor's yard but he's my friend I guess and friends don't do that.

"Look Nelson do me a favor and shut up so your mom doesn't hear okay?" I say unlocking his door with the key his mom gave me. She always seems so worried about me and I could truly see why. But I wasn't going to be someone's worthless cry for help.

Once in Nelson's oversized room, I push him onto the bed.

"Goodnight Nick," Nelson mumbles and I can't help but laugh at this situation.

"Goodnight Nelson," I say and leave his room. As soon as I click the door shut and turn around Gracie is standing before me with a grin. For a 14-year-old she can be pretty smug.

"Nelson is wasted isn't he?" She smiles.

"Yup." I shrug and leave before she dotes on me any longer. Gracie has had a crush on me for like 3 years now. Nelson knows it, I know it. Gracie has even told me so it's always awkward around us because well, She's 14. It's weird.

"Wait Nick! You can stay for a while!" Gracie calls after me on my way down the stairs and I answer a quick reply just by saying.

"Can't, my mothers waiting for me."

I hear her start running down the stairs. "But your mom doesn't care." She whines.

At that, I clench my jaw. Yeah, my mother doesn't care. Yeah, she does nothing for me. Yeah, she hurts me constantly. But she's my mother and I still hate myself for never being able to get rid of that ounce of respect I have for her, and that I still hope deep down she has that respect for me.

"She cares." I mumble.

I don't look back as I walk down their massive driveway. As I make my way down the cold and abandoned road to my shit home one girl keeps popping into my head.

She's so annoying. Why does this girl have to be just so problematic? So beautiful. So... so perfect.

I sigh audibly. She needs to get out of my mind.
But just the thought of what could've happened if Tracy didn't bump into me. Or if I opened that door any later.

As soon as they left I went for the boy. That fucker touched what shouldn't be touched. It's not like she's mine but something so fragile and pure shouldn't be played with.