Brodie | Feelings

Brodie

First grade:

We all stood around in a circle watching as Nicholas Adams fought with Lance Rundal.

Nick tackled him at recess and we all stood around to watch.

Suddenly as the whistles blow from the teachers who come to break up the fight. Tommy waves Nelson and I over so we can go back to play and not get in any trouble but Nelson refused to stay. I don't understand why he always did but it doesn't matter because Tommy would play with me.

We sat on the bench waiting for Nick and Nelson. They always came back over after playing. But after a few long time. I went to go look for him so we could go play kickball maybe.

After looking all over I found him under the slide with Nelson. Why didn't they invite me?

I walk over there and sit by them and they give me one glance.

"What's wrong Nick?" I ask.

"Do your parents hit you too?" He asks me and I nod.

"Yeah my dad used to but momma said he goes into that box with the uh... bars? I think it was called prism." I explain and Nelson shrugs.

"I believe that's called prison. The bad people go there." Nelson says pushing up his huge black glasses that made him a nerd.

"My parents don't." Nelson shrugs and I feel jealous.

I look at Nick who seems to be really embarrassed. "Mine don't. I was just joking." Nick says quickly and laughs.

He's laughing at me?

9th grade:

"God she's so pretty," Nelson complains annoyingly.

"Who Gen? Your girrrrlfriend!" Tommy mocks loudly in the locker room as we all change.

"She's not my girlfriend," Nelson mumbles embarrassed and his cheeks turn red.

"So are we going to the back alley behind Mario's to smoke weed after school?" Nick asks zipping up his jeans and I watch that action and I tell him I'll be there.

"Can't I'm grounded," Tommy says wiping sweat off his freckled face.

"I have a robotics meeting," Nelson says and I didn't realize I was staring at Nick until his gaze that was focused on tying his shoe looks up at Nelson.

I suddenly feel nervous around him. "You hate robots," Nick asks and Nelson just shrugs in response.

"Well... I just wanted to... try it." He explains warily and we all give him a weird look.

"But you're afraid of them. You say that they will take over the world one day and-" Tommy tries to embarrass him loudly but Nick cuts him off with a punch to his shoulder.

"Gens going to be there," Nick whispers.

"Ooooooh that's right." Tommy laughs and Nelson's cheeks turn redder.

"So just you and me Brodie?" Nick asks looking at me with a smile and I feel a very wrong feeling in my chest. It's hard to concentrate on what he's saying.

"Just you and me," I assure suddenly nervous with a flutter in my stomach.