38

Alice

"Nick," I whisper for the hundredth time into the cold air. My breath fans out from my lips and just as I'm about to pull into his driveway I stop in front of this little girl who looked around 11 years old.

She stares at me with wide eyes and fear. I don't blame her it's the blood.

"Want a free bike?" I smile. She nods and gets on the bike.

"You're bleeding." She states and I nod.

"Yeah. Anyways have fun with your new bike." I say and wave as she rides off calling for her mommy.

Standing in the road I feel everything come down on me.

I start to sob. And I don't stop myself. My emotions are all over the place. I let out ugly loud cries as I sit on the curb in front of Nick's house.

Jessie hates me for something I didn't do. And I have nowhere to live. And I'm all bloody and I hate blood.

"Alice?" A deep voice behind me questions and I start crying harder knowing it's Nick. Suddenly I don't want him to see me this way.

"Alice!" He yells and suddenly he's behind me and pulling me into his strong arms.

"Alice what happened. Tell me what happened. Are you okay please tell me your okay I don't know what I would do- who did this to you why are you bleeding?" He demands lifting me up bridal style.

My arm hangs down loosely at his side and my other lays itself on his chest.

"I'll tell you just- I need a second," I say referring to the blood and finally meet his eyes.

I gasp when I see how cold they are. How they look at my body with anger and sadness and I start to cry again.

He kicks his front door open with his foot then slams it shut behind himself. I start to feel dizzy from my loss of blood and I grip his shirt the best I can.

"Stay awake Alice. Please." He begs taking the stairs two at a time and holding me close to his racing heart.

My eyes start to close on their own accord. Keep them open for Nick.

I feel myself being placed onto a soft surface and realize I'm in Nick's bed.

Through my blurry eyes, I see him pulling his shirt off. He brings his navy blue shirt against my chest to stop the bleeding and he mumbles something.

"What?" I ask when his voice becomes distant.

"Alice. You lost a lot of blood and your chest is still bleeding." He says and I hear his voice is in pain.

"I'm okay. Just tired" I whispered closing my eyes.

"No. No Alice stay awake." He pleads but the darkness already encompasses me.

I was supposed to stay awake for Nick. I'm a failure.

~~

My eyes flutter open and I see its dark outside.

I gasp and sit up quickly. Where am I?

I hold my head as pain shoots through the back of it quickly.

"Lay down Alice." Nick insists and is suddenly at my side. He cradles my head and slowly pushes me back against his warm bed.

The small lamp at his desk illuminating the side of his face.

I feel the side of the bed dip and I look up at him. "I'm sorry Nick," I say quietly and a tear falls out of my eye. Everything comes back to me quickly.