29

Alice

I walk into first hour and slump down into my seat.

I've gotten no sleep for the last few days. Nick was all that has been on my mind and it's driving me insane. I just need to find out more about him. I want to help but I can't help if he keeps pushing me away. And I'm almost positive something horrible is happening to him at home. And I'm sure Jessie would be okay with Nick staying with us. In fact, I'd chip in on groceries. Maybe even get a job. Nick and I could spend more time together!

Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself. I don't even know what's going on with him, but I know I need to talk to him. I make that final decision in my mind and sit up a little straighter.

I look up just as Tracy walks into the room.

"Hey, Tracy wanna-" I start when she walks to her usual seat next to me but I stop as soon as she walks past.

"Hang out after school..." I finish in a whisper embarrassed. She has been avoiding me all week. It must've been that kiss. I hope she knows it was just a drunken thing. I forgive her and I hope we could still be friends.

I sigh and play with my pen more than ready to get this class over with.

~~

Just as the bell rings I rush to where Tracy sat down.

"Tracy," I call out when she ignores me.

Her eyes widen and she grabs her bag. She goes to make a break for the door but I stop her by grabbing her arm.

"What's going on?" I say not trying to hide the sadness in my tone.

"Nothing." She rolls her eyes and brushes past me. She walks out quickly.

I leave the room shortly after and go to Gen's locker.

"Hey," I say sadly and lean my back against the locker next to hers.

"Hello my fellow peer." She chirps and closes her locker.

"Tracy's been avoiding me..." I say facing her.

"Tracy's always been an avoider. Why do you think she didn't pass the sixth grade?" Gen says seriously.

"Tracy didn't pass?- that's not my point I need your help," I say playing with my sleeves like I usually do.

"Oh, I'm good with help! Do you have a plan? I love plans." Gen lisps excited.

"I don't have a plan I just need to talk to Tracy. Something happened between us." I say and Gen frowns.

"Wow, I've been really missing out haven't I?" Gen looks down and I wonder what she's means by that.

"Nelson's been taking up a lot of my time. Not that it's a bad thing we have a machine to finish in less than a week! But he's just so... clingy." Gen sighs and I pat her arm sympathetically.

"Isn't that a good thing?" I ask and she shrugs.

"Nelson's awesome. And I can't believe I'm saying this. But I really like him... but I don't have experience with guys. I've always been their friends, not their lovers." Gen runs a hand frustratedly through her frizzy hair and I understand in a way what she's going through.

"Sounds rough. Maybe try asking him on a date? Smooth things over and really tell him how you feel. Tell him you want to take things slow. I mean I know Nelson is crazy for you." I say.

Gen nods. "Good point. I think I'll do that." She looks at me with a new smile.

"Thanks, Alice." Gen laughs and pushes my shoulder and puts on her serious face.