17

Alice

I felt horrible when I told Jessie I didn't feel good. But she understood and let me go to bed. I took my medicine and made sure I was comfy but I couldn't sleep knowing everyone was downstairs having fun when I had to lie to protect my past. No one can know. I can't have a repeat of last year.

I hear laughing from downstairs and need to blink my tears back. Suddenly I feel hot anger rise on my skin.

You know what. I'm going to take the wrath of Brodie another day.

I sit up and swing my door open with a whoosh and my cold silk nightgown tickles my hot skin.

I run down the stairs and into the living room feeling confident. Something I haven't felt in a long time.

I freeze as I catch sight of Brodie and all his friends on the couch and floor watching some action movie with lots of blood.

I look down at my toes knowing they are all staring at me. I grip the hem of my nightgown nervously that I'm sure makes me look way underdressed considering everyone is fully clothed and all I have is a small silk thing held up by two thin straps. I gulp and lookup facing the music.

Nick who was laying on the couch is now sitting upright with his eyes glued to my body. Brodie is sending me a glare and Nelson and Tommy seem to be smiling.

"Alice! Come watch!" Nelson encourages and I'm quick to run to the spot next to him.

As soon as I sit down Nick throws a blanket over me and I thank him for it was getting quite chilly downstairs.

I wrap up and look around for Jessie as the movie starts up again.

Looking around I catch the glorious sight of Nick and get distracted. He was wearing a tight black shirt that showed off his bulging biceps and forearms. He had grey sweatpants on that were tied loosely. If he were to stand to his full tall height I'm sure they'd hang dangerously low on his hips. He was resting with his feet up like the rest of the guys but the only difference is that his head was lolled back and he wasn't really paying attention to the movie. Maybe he doesn't like blood.

His Adam's apple bobbed up and down and I had to stop staring when I felt my cheeks heat in arousal. Get a grip, Alice. I remind myself.

I jump when gunshots go off in the movie and I grip my blanket.

"Where's Jessie?" I ask aloud when I remember she's nowhere in sight.

"She said she didn't want to watch a movie without you tonight so she went to bed." Brodie shrugs and turns the volume up.

The screams of pain from the screen echo around in my head and my heartbeat picks up.

I remove the blanket off my legs when a sheen of sweat coats my body. The movie changes to a quieter scene but that doesn't stop my racing heart. Could it be the medication?

I sit up when I start to feel dizzy and hotter.

"Alice are you okay?" I hear Nelson ask and I shake my head no.

"I'm going to go back to sleep. Guess I was more tired then I thought when I came down here." I rush out and stand to make my way to my room. When I finally make it to the safety of my room, I lay on my back and stare at the popcorn ceiling. I feel my sweat soaking into the sheets and I wait for this heat to pass.

My drowsy-ness takes over and I fall asleep. I don't know how long I was asleep for but I suddenly can't move and shadows creep around my room.

I feel someone gripping my ankle but I can't lift my head to see it and start to feel weights on my chest.

My mouth opens in a silent scream but it only comes out as a whimper. I can suddenly jerk my arm up and I knock over my lamp causing it to hit the floor with a loud clatter.

I feel tears in my eyes. I feel sick to my stomach too and all I can do is panic. My breathing increases but suddenly my door is pushed open.

My head snaps to the side and I see a very worried Nick.

Nick?

Nick??

Before I know it he's kneeling in front of me.

"Breathe." He tells me seriously with this calmness I wish I could compose. I feel his hands rubbing up and down on my back causing the material of my nightgown to bunch.

"You're okay." I hear him and his thumb wipes a tear away. I meet his eyes and see something I've never seen before. The smallest flicker of caring.

My arms shakily reach out for comfort. I don't know why I did that. Nick is the least likely human being to give comfort especially to me. But my mind was spinning and I was at a loss. It's a long shot asking comfort from him but I need it. I'm scared.

I see his eyes flash with indecision before his large warm arms slowly wrap themselves around my shaking body.

They wrap themselves around my waist securely and I feel his hot breath fan my neck. His brown hair tickles the bare skin on my shoulder and we embrace in the darkness of my room.

"Why'd you come in here," I ask in his ear and feel him shiver. I grip his shirt as I relax into the hug.

"I was getting my stuff from Brodie's room and heard a crash." He admits and I feel his fingers playing with a thin strap on my nightgown distractedly. His fingers brush my shoulder ever so softly and now it's my turn to shiver. He doesn't know what he's doing.

"Look Alice you had a nightmare or something. I get those a lot and would've wanted someone to comfort me back then. I thought you would too." He says awkwardly and I can tell this is as weird for him as it is for me. Not to mention this is the most I've heard from him. Especially this kindness. He seems like a new person. As if he's only nice knowing we can relate.

"You have them too... why?" I say quietly in this awkward hug. Yet, I have no intention of breaking it.

"You know what. It doesn't matter why." He tells me and his arms go slack and I just want to pull them around me again. I miss the warmth he brought in me.

"Also another thing. I found this in Brodie's room earlier. I think it's yours." He says pulling something out of his pocket.

I gasp when I see my grandma's glass light in his palm. I take it with a smile and trace my finger over my engraved name.

"Nick," I whisper feeling like this is a dream.

He stands up giving me a nod. "I need to go Alice." He states dryly and frustration consumes me when he switched emotions again.

I watch him walk out of my bedroom door like nothing happened.

Speaking of. What the hell just happened??