[18]

┏━━━━•✧*̥✧•━━━━┓

┏━━━━•✧*̥✧•━━━━┓

"tobio..."

erena's words trailed off as she caught sight of the setter standing in front of her at the vending machine, head bent so that no one could see his face, but his disappointment was still the most visible thing about him.

his hands were crushing an empty milk carton tightly, a shadow casted across his face as he turned around to glance at erena. 

it was silent as their eyes met, something unknown passing through erena and through to kageyama. 

"i heard about th-"

before erena could finish her sentence, kageyama had rushed forward and wrapped his arms around the girl, burying his face into her shoulder. the carton clattered to the ground.

ignoring her blush, erena slowly reached out and wrapped her own hands around him. "i'm sorry. i-i didn't give you the card i promised i would."

"it's not your fault," kageyama's voice was hoarse from not talking all day. "it was my fault. if only i trained harder. if only i didn't miss all of my serves. if only i had seen through seijoh's plans. if only the quick attack was stronger. if only...i was stronger."

"well, you just need to get stronger," erena whispered. "train even more. then you will prevail."

he clenched his hands even more tightly. "but is should've prevailed already. i'm so sorry. you believed in me. and i...l-let you down."

"don't say that," she smiled. "you never let me down."

"i don't?" kageyama asked, and when she shook her head he gripped onto her tightly. "you know, erena. i'm g-grateful to have you in my life."

"i'm grateful too!"

they stayed in that position, relishing in the other's words until the bell rung.

┗━━━━•✧*̥✧•━━━━┛

word count: 280