Chp. 3

-RILEY’S POV-

As I got to know Jenson I realized it wasn’t going to be hard to befriend this girl. She was easy to talk to, she came off as semi-confident, but I knew deep down she wasn’t. She had been cut down and bullied by her ex-bf Bren, and for whatever reason I wanted to kill him.

This morning was a close one, I had to perform my first save while I was sitting in her passenger seat. She had almost ran straight into an oncoming 18 wheeler, and that’s when I realized this was going to be harder then I expected. I had everything to do it, the powers, the stamina, charisma, everything, but it was still a challenge.

I needed to be tuned into her almost 24/7, unless I was with her.

It was weird though this morning, I had yelled stop but she didn’t hear my voice loud and clear, it was like she heard my voice in her head. She had stopped right away though, not even realizing I was the one to tell her to stop.

It was like I was her intuition.

The bell rang for first hour to end and I escorted Jenson to our second class. I was protective, I could feel it inside me, wanting to shield her from every harm and shove that she endured from other people in the crowded hallway.

Then again, maybe that wasn’t the Guardian in me. Maybe it was something more.

No, I didn’t like this girl already, there was no way. I never fell for people that quick, it really might just be the intimate connection. I could feel her emotions inside of me, I hadn’t really learned to control it completely yet.

We walked into our last class and we sat at a table, my friend Jake sat across from me and spoke, “New girl?”

I nodded, “Jenson this is Jake, Jake, Jenson.”

He took her in and I could immediately feel Jenson’s nervousness, it wasn’t a like nervous though, it was a timid nervous. I figured it was something to do with her exboyfriend though.

Jake leaned in and smirked, “Hi Jenson,” I grimaced, oh God was he trying to flirt already?

I snapped my fingers, making his chair leg give way and sending him crashing to the ground. I laughed along with Jenson and the rest of the class as he got up and complained to the teacher about the shitty chairs. I looked at Jenson, “He’s a clown.”

She smiled, it was weird, I could feel her emotions, but I couldn’t read her mind. I guess that was a little to intimate, and in a way I was glad I couldn’t.

Then it would get really weird.

I just knew she liked me, and that’s what really counted. I knew I needed to get close to her for it to be easier to protect her, and that was exactly what I was going to do.

I looked at Jenson, “Maybe we can have lunch?”

She looked up, “I can’t, I still have a lot of unpacking to do.”

“I can help with that to, then after all the hard work we can have lunch?”

She smiled warmly, blushing lightly, she could tell I didn’t like no for an answer. “Fine, you can follow me home after school.”

I smiled, “Sounds awesome but… I don’t drive.”

I figured it was best to say that considering I wasn’t going to be driving to school anymore, I was going to be riding with Jenson.

She just couldn’t know.

She looked at me, “Want me to pick you up?”

“You sure?”

She nodded and smiled, “I mean you’ve made my first day a million times better, I have to repay you somehow.”

I smiled, All you have to do is stay alive.

There were consequences if Jenson died, years of suffering and bad luck. I was Chosen for a reason, and I needed to accomplish what I was told to do.

I hoped into Jenson’s passenger seat, she had a nice car, and she started down the road to her house. I was nervous, I didn’t know if I was going to have to perform any miraculous saves but I was keeping my eye open. You don’t really realize how many times your life is spared during the day until you’re the one doing the saving.

We parked in front of a nice house, it was one of the new ones they had built about a month ago when this subdivision was built. She got out of her car and I followed her up to her room, she looked back, “Do you want something to eat?”

I shook my head, “I’m good, thanks though.”

She opened the door to her room and I smiled at how it was so familiar. She sat on the ground next to a box and I joined her, then she pulled out a picture frame. It was her little sister, Lily, the one who passed away. I knew already but I wanted to ask, “Little sister?”

She gave me a weak smile and nodded, “Her name was Lily. She passed away two years ago, she was diagnosed with Leukemia…”

I could feel her emotions flood into me, it hurt, like bad. I felt gravely depressed, to the point where I just wanted to cry. This is what Jenson felt? For how long? This was to much for me to cope with all at one time…

I placed my hand on her shoulder, “I’m so sorry Jen, but she’s not suffering anymore.”

She smiled weakly again and placed the picture up on her desk, “I know, but that doesn’t make the pain go away.”

I nodded, Trust me I know.

She stood, and I followed her downstairs to where there were a couple of boxes, she attempted to lift one but she struggled. I smiled, “Let me.”

As I bent down to pick it up she spoke, “It’s really heavy…”

I lifted the box with ease, smiling, “Not really.”

She punched me, laughing, “Jeez you muscle freak.”

I laughed with her as I walked upstairs to her room and helped her unpack. She was hanging a picture on her wall when she spoke again, “So want to hear something weird?”

I looked at her, “Sure.”

“This morning, I was driving to school right, and I wasn’t paying attention because I had a lot on my mind. Then all of a sudden it was like someone or something inside my head hollered for me to stop. So when I slammed on my brakes and looked up, an 18 wheeler flew by and was inches away from my vehicle.”

I pretended to be surprised by the story but I knew all of this happened already, I was the one who had saved her life in the first place.

I smiled, “Wow, looks like you have yourself a guardian angel.”