Chp. 8

-JENSON’S POV-

In a way I kind of missed Riley, she didn’t text me back, which meant she was probably sleeping. Even though it was only 9 at night. Maybe she was mad at me, she would sometimes get upset but would never tell me why… and it confused me.

She didn’t seem to happy about Jake asking me on a date, and I wondered if it was because she was jealous… or something more.

Maybe it was because she never allowed herself to fall for a guy. Plenty of them liked her, she just always turned them down. I was actually starting to think she was a lesbian… I was just to afraid to bring it up.

Not to mention I was feeling distance between her and I.

Sure I had been hanging with Jake and his friends but when I asked Riley to come along she always refused. I never understood it, was she hiding something from me? Or was she uncomfortable around Jake?

Did she like Jake?

That could always be a possibility, considering she didn’t sound to fond of me liking him.

In the back of my mind I was still scared to get attached to anyone though, after Bren my whole life was changed. I was afraid, commitment issues, to scared to let myself like someone past a certain extent. It was weird though, because me and Riley had a connection that I had never experienced with anyone else.

I didn’t quite understand it yet, and maybe I would never understand it, but in the back of my head… I liked it. I loved when she was with me, and the more I thought about it, I was grateful she had pushed her way into my life. How she made me feel comfortable, and never made me feel threatened, and how she got me to open up to her about all sorts of things.

Including my dad walking out on my family, and my little sister, and Bren. She didn’t even blink when I told her about all the fights and nasty words that were exchanged between me and Bren the last month we were together.

Like she was immune to it all.

But yet, after the month me and Riley became close friends… I still didn’t know that much about her. I didn’t know about her family life, and what it was like back home. I didn’t know about her past, and her past boyfriends and best friends…

It was like she either didn’t feel comfortable talking about it or… she was hiding the truth from me.

No I wasn’t going to force it out of her, but I would like to know a little about the girl that knows so much about me.

I looked at my phone, it had been an entire thirty minutes and still no text, I was determined to call her, but I didn’t want to wake her up if she was sleeping. Maybe she could come over and we could talk, because the more thought about her the worse I felt about ignoring her the last couple of days.

Then all of a sudden I felt a presence, it happened so often that I knew exactly how to determine and identify the feeling. It was weird, and I had decided that my house was haunted. Nothing ever happened, except for one time when a picture of my dad fell off of my nightstand and onto the ground.

It had startled me so bad I had screamed, but I figured the wind had blown it over because I usually left my window open.

But I was starting to have second thoughts.

Another thing that I tended to wonder about is, ever since I moved here… nothing tragic has happened to me. No psycho best friend, no car wreck, no tragic loss like every other time I moved… it was just normal. Calm and quiet, and that scared me even more.

That’s why the presence feeling never scared me, because nothing ever happened to me.

I classified it as a good luck charm, or an angel watching over me but I didn’t really believe in that stuff. Sure, I was religious, but out of everything that had happened to me before… it was hard to think there was someone watching over me.

I guess I would need physical proof to believe it.

I curled up into my sheet, plugging my phone in as I checked it one last time for a message from Riley but came up short. Then I flicked my lamp off.

I didn’t feel alone, but it wasn’t a bad feeling, it was a peaceful feeling, a good aura that had surrounded me. I closed my eyes, seeing Riley and her sad expression, and I felt the gut wrenching pain of loneliness that she must feel.

And how I once felt like that.

Valentines Day, a day where couples were allowed to be cheesy as hell and say “I love you” every second of the day without it getting completely annoying.

Well, to them of course, it annoyed the hell out of me.

I had, had one Valentine, and it was in 4th grade when we were all required to bring something for everyone, but this one boy gave me a special card. It was different from everyone else’s and he told me how he loved how I smelt good, and didn’t stink. Also, he liked how my hair was soft… looking back now on it I wanted to laugh.

So Valentines Day was three days away, and in a way I was dreading it. Even though I had a little hope that maybe Jake would come out and ask me on another date. The first one was ok, I kept my eyes shut the entire time during the movie, and he stole a kiss from me at the end of the night.

He was nice, and seemed nothing like what Riley had explained. He gave me attention the entire night, never once looked at his phone and paid for my ticket and everything.

Riley was underestimating him.

Riley was picking at her food across the table from me and Jake, we had all three gone out to eat lunch after school. Jake didn’t get out till fourth hour was over so we waited for him in the library.

I nudged her leg under the table and lip talked, “You ok?”

She smiled, taking a sip of her drink, “Yes.”

Jake hand was on my knee, and it was distracting me, and I didn’t know whether I wanted him to move it off or move it… up.

Riley shifted in her seat, looking down as if trying to see where Jake’s hand was, and then switching her eyes from that to Jake’s.

She dropped her fork, “Well, I’m finished, I have homework to do.”

The bad thing was, she had no ride home, because I was her ride home. I looked at Jake, “I guess I’m done to.”

He sighed heavily, each of us leaving a small tip for the waitress and getting up and heading for the door. I was compelled to talk to Riley, try to pull some answers out of her but I wasn’t sure if she was going to answer me honestly.

I looked at Jake, “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

He smiled boyishly and nodded, “Drive safe.”

“Always,” then I giggled a little to girlishly for my liking. He had a weird affect on me, making me blush and feel good about myself.

I had told him I wasn’t ready for a relationship yet though, but not telling him the reason. I didn’t know if I wanted to expose him to that yet, or ever.

Me and Riley climbed into my car and I looked at her as I started down the long road to home. Deciding that I should ask her now to get it over with.

And praying for the best.