Chp. 21

-JENSON’S POV-

I walked over to Jake, feeling a little bad for Riley because she seemed upset… like really depressed. I had found out so much about her this weekend, her past, things that she had yet to tell me in the month and a half we were friends… well best friends.

I walked up to Jake, his arm immediately wrapping over my shoulders, pulling me close and kissing me right on the lips. “Ryan this is Jenson…”

I looked at him, Ryan was giving me a sympathetic look, but why? And why had hadn’t Jake introduced me as his girlfriend…? We were dating right?

We came close to sex the other night, luckily I refused when I had to much to drink… and Jake didn’t take advantage of me. I slept in his arms that night, it was perfect, waking up and seeing his sleeping face… it was cute.

It also made me think about Riley.

Jake was walking next to me, we were heading to my first hour and when we got there, I looked up at him, “Why didn’t you tell Ryan we were… you know?”

He tilted his head, “You know? What?”

Was he that naïve? Or maybe he was trying to tell me something… maybe he didn’t want to make it official, or maybe he didn’t like me…

I looked down, feeling a little embarrassed, “Um… nothing…I’ll see you next period.” I escaped into first hour and felt like my heart was going to explode, and naturally, Riley looked up at me.

“You ok?”

I nodded, but I wanted to break, and it was close. I felt tears rimming my eyes… and I just wanted to pull Riley into me and cry. Why did I need Riley when I felt so lonely and sad? Why didn’t I want Jake to comfort me? It was always Riley though… she was always the one I wanted when I needed a shoulder to cry on, or someone to make me feel better.

I looked at her, wanting to change the subject as soon as possible, “Riley… why didn’t you tell me about Bree?”

Her face changed, her look was shocked, she snapped her head to me, “How do you know…?”

“Jake…” I wasn’t going to tell her how I had found the scrapbook in her room, that was a little to personal… and I wanted to read the notes.

And if I told her I had found it… she would move it, and I wanted to read the notes.

“What he said?”

I shrugged, why was she getting so defensive? “Just that you two were close, she gave you needed attention and… you were fucking wild.”

She smiled, as if going back to those unwanted memories, and I smiled. She was remembering what she used to be, and it looked bitter-sweet. It also looked like it was breaking her heart thinking about it. She looked down at her desk, “Yea… me and Bree, we were crazy…”

“You were depressed.”

She nodded slowly, “Yea… I mean my mom had passed away, my dad was deployed… it was hard you know. I didn’t have anyone. I was so alone and then Bree got to me, we partied, had fun, got into some trouble… then I met Jake. End of story.”

I could tell the subject was sensitive, but it had gotten my mind off of Jake… and I wanted to know.

“Riley… you can talk to me… I hope you realize that.”

She looked up, locking eyes with me, she was crying… she wasn’t completely bawling and breaking down, but her eyes were red. She had tears rimming her eyes, she looked as if she was going to cry… soon, but she never did.