Chp. 33

-

JENSON’S POV-

I was overwhelmed by the way I felt when Riley kissed me… and things got heated way to fast. I didn’t want her to stop, but I was scared, and nervous, and I couldn’t give myself to her when I felt that way. I wanted to feel comfortable, and I wanted to make sure I loved Riley…

100 percent.

The feelings I had, they were insane… my heart wouldn’t stop beating a hundred miles an hour, my face flushed when she stared at me, and I always wanted to be with her.

No matter what.

The next week at school felt empty, as always, not running into Jake in second hour. I usually just stared at his empty seat while Riley talked to me or worked on her assignments.

And I was doing the same thing right at this moment.

Everything at school had changed, everything seemed so…melancholy. It was depressing, but it was no ones fault. It was just a freak accident that happened to occur at our school… to my Jake. I was grateful though, our last words were “Love you” and there wasn’t much better then that.

I still missed him though, the gapping hole in my heart burned, ached… like a soar tooth. Every time I thought about it my eyes would tear up, I would get the treacherous lump in my throat and try to swallow it away…

But it never left.

Then Riley would touch my arm, reaching across the table and gently placing her hand on my skin…

Then the feelings were gone.

Riley was all I had left, she protected me, comforted me, loved me… unconditionally. She knew everything about me yet, she wasn’t scared off, she stood by me for four and a half months… never running away once.

It was all so new.

Then she fell in love with me, and now she was making my true feelings ignite, and I couldn’t control myself around her anymore. I would steal kisses here and there, grab her hand randomly when I felt the depression and anxiety crawling back up…

And then everything would be ok.

Riley leaned over, “Can we have lunch after school today? I need to ask you something.”

I looked at her, her gray blue eyes staring deeply into mine, as if secretly begging me to say yes. Even though she knew I could never tell her no…unless it came to sex.

I nodded, “Sure.”

The bell rang up above us, dismissing us from our school day. I stood, Riley standing a couple of inches above me, draping her arm over my shoulder as if telling everyone “she’s mine.”

It made my heart swell.

She escorted me to my car and I threw her the keys because she stated that it was somewhere special. She hoped in the driver’s seat as I buckled my seatbelt as I mumbled, “Could you at least give me a hint?”

She glanced at me, smirking devilishly… and it was sexy, “No Jen… just relax.”

I laid back in my seat and eventually we were driving up to the familiar burger joint that she had brought me to the day we first met. “The world’s best burger’s” if I remember correctly, and they really were delicious.

She looked at me, smiling, “We’re here.”

She opened the door for me, and I smelt the grease and the stove cooking burgers, it made my stomach growl. Riley snaked her arm around my waist, making me jump at the suddenness, then she pulled away, “Sorry… I didn’t mean…”

I smiled, she was nervous, “Riley… you just scared me.”

She smiled, “Ok.”

I followed her to the booth and we ordered, and I waited impatiently for my burger… and Riley’s question.

Riley peeked at me as she sipped on her coke, and then she cleared her throat, setting down the cup. She spoke, “So… prom’s coming up, and I was wondering if… you wanted to go with me?”

She was nervous, I could see it in her eyes, and to be completely honest… I was flattered. She had actually asked me to prom, in a sweet way, how could I possibly decline her offer?

She noticed I was still leaving her unanswered, so she pressured, “If you don’t wanna go with just me we can just go with a bunch of our friends… rent a limo… it wouldn’t be a big deal. I just don’t-”

“I wanna go with you Riley,” I interrupted her and grabbed her hand, reassuring her that she had flattered me.

She let a cute smile creep onto her face and she let out an exasperated sigh, “Thank God, I thought I was going to look like an idiot…”

I laughed, and she watched me, then the waitress arrived with our food and we dug in. I was starving, so we wouldn’t be here long. Riley kept sneaking glances at me and I was getting more nervous, the way she made me feel… it was unexplainable.

I had never been so attached to one person… and I had never needed someone like I needed Riley.

It was a scary feeling, a feeling of vulnerability, but I knew I could trust Riley. She had stood next to me for months, never running and cowering away from my anxiety, my depression, my psycho ex boyfriend, Bren. She stood up to all of them, and protected me…

She really loved me.

And I was falling so hard.

I looked at her, “So I’ve been thinking…”

Riley’s eyes shot up, tilting her head and smiling, “You’ve been thinking that I’m the best there is? And you want to give me a chance to take you on a real date? And we can live happily ever after?”

I laughed at her suddenness, the way it rolled off of her tongue, “No, I’ve been thinking…”

Then all of a sudden I lost my train of thought as the door rang as it shut behind a tall, familiar figure. I swallowed, the anxiety, the pain… it was all there.

Riley noticed, then turned around, but I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.

Bren was here, in person, and he was looking straight at me.