The Christmas Tree

A/N what even are my endings. Also small hiatus because exams but plenty to come as of the 19th!

After a long day of Christmas shopping, it was good to be almost home. The holiday season can be hectic with everyone scrambling through malls to find the perfect gift for that special someone. Luckily, my special someone had already agreed that we didn’t need to get each other anything special. He had said all he needed was for me to be beside him on Christmas morning, and maybe a few pairs of warm socks.

He had said while I was out scrounging for something to get my mother, he was going to pick out a tree for our apartment and set it up so we could decorate it together.

When I got home I was not surprised to hear Destiny’s Child blasting through our sound system, with Scott’s melodic voice joining in every once in a while. Although the sound coming from the living room was bliss to my ears, it wasn’t so easy on the eyes. Pine needles littered our carpet, and knotted up light strands, glass baubles, and sentimental ornaments were strewn across the room. A tall, neatly trimmed tree was on a stand in corner of the room, releasing a pungent odour. The tree was beautiful, but it paled in comparison to the tall blonde I was glad to call mine.

“So what do you think?” he asked, turning to face me. “I know you’re very picky about décor, but I saw this one and thought it met your criteria. Thoughts?”

“I love it! I’m glad you waited for me to decorate it though. Not only is it my favourite part but also you would probably end up messing it up. Pass me a string of lights Scooter.”

He giggled and gave me the only string of lights that was ridiculously tangled. That boy is practically begging for me to punish him. Once the strand was neatly folded in my arms, I walked over the tree.

I kind of found it hilarious to see Scott standing next to the tree, seeing as he was taller than it. He would probably make a much better addition to our decorations. Oh wait...

The idea that came to my head might just have been the evilest thing I’ve ever done, but I knew it would make us erupt with laughter and just lie on the floor clenching our stomachs, the task of decorating the tree long forgotten.

Tiptoeing behind him, I covered his eyes with one hand while the other snuck around his waist, the lights trailing over his chest. As discreetly as possible, I continued to wrap the cords around his chest, pinning his arms to his sides. It’s not like it was even hard to distract him. The moment my lips pressed against his jaw he threw his head back, completely forgetting about what I was doing to his body.

It was only once I stepped away that he noticed what I had done. I stood across the room and looked at him as if he were a work of art, and let’s face it, with his chiseled arms showing from underneath the lights, he looked like one.

“Very nice,” I hummed in approval, “but there’s just one thing missing.” I went into his room and fetched a piece from an old Halloween costume before returning to the living room. He looked completely helpless and uncomfortable wrapped up like that, but the smile stretched from ear to ear on his face was worth it. “Usually we’d put an angel on top of the tree, but if you’re going to be our tree this year, you already are an angel so you don’t need one. Instead you can have a halo.” I pressed a quick peck on his forehead as I placed the crown on top of his head, listening to him belting Beyoncé. How did I not see that coming?

“Mitchie, I know I look great and I’m probably the best tree we’ve ever had, but can you please help me? I have a small brunette that needs me untied.”