21| You're confusing

WHEN ADAM BANKS HEARD the doorbell ring, he was surprised to say at the least. Though, as he answered it, he was taken a back at the girl standing in front of him. Needless to say, she was the last person he was planning on seeing.

"We need to talk, Banks" She said as she pushed past him and stepped into his humble abode

Bewildered, he stared at her as she comfortably made her way into his home. Though, he just sighed as he knew there was nothing else he could do but simply go along and shut the door. "Sure Connie," he grumbled with a shrug, "come on in"

Adam made his way to where Connie looked around his living room, eyeing the several framed pictures of him, his brother, and his family. He lent up against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest as Connie pointed to one picture, giving him a look that held a victorious yet heartwarming feeling. "You have a framed picture of you and Nova in your living room.."

Suddenly, Adam straightened himself out and cleared his throat as he drew his eyebrows together. Bashfully with a small tint of pink on his cheeks, Adam Banks made his way to Connie and sent her a glare as he grabbed the picture frame and hugged it against his chest in a secretive way. "What are you doing here, Con?"

Connie just hummed to herself as she slowly walked around towards his couch. The girl just looked around the room in a fake daze before she finally plopped down on the couch and shrugged. "Can I not talk to my friend?"

Adam gave her a pointed look as made his way to sit beside her. Despite the big part of him inside that was flooding with happiness and warmth, he just kept a plain expression. "You consider me a friend?"

Connie nodded and smiled softly. "Of course I do-"

"But I've been a jerk"

A small chuckle escaped Connie's lips as she looked down at her lap and shook her head. "I know.." she agreed before pursing her lips together and smiling at him. "But an annoyingly smart girl told me that you weren't one and that you're just looking out for yourself..."

"And you believed her" He croaked out as Connie saw the sudden tears that had began forming at the brim of his eyes

With a sharp breath, the girl nodded again. "Of course I believe her..."

Adam looked away and glanced down at the picture frame that sat in his lap. He forced his tears to not graze out of his eyes; despite all the pain he had been feeling in the core of his chest. "Why?" he began in a barely audible voice, "she should be the last person saying that I'm not a jerk"

Connie raised her eyebrows as if she were agreeing with him before her eyes trailed to where Adam was subconsciously caressing the picture with his thumb. She studied his face. All of it. The tears that were obviously threatening to flow out. The quivering bottom lip as he bit the inside of it. His sorrow gaze. He was in so much pain and Connie couldn't handle it.

"You're really confusing," Connie spoke out, "you know that, right?"

Adam drew his eyebrows together as he swallowed the lump in his throat and glanced up at the brunette girl. "What?"

"You're confusing."

"How-"

"I know you miss her." Connie said bluntly, "I know that you regret pushing her away but I also know that you know she doesn't care. She doesn't care that you told her to go. She's understanding and she misses you. You know that though... you aren't scared to talk to her. You aren't scared that she doesn't want to speak to you because you know she does... so why won't you talk to her?"

Adam was utterly frozen in his spot as Connie gave him a puzzled and intrigued look. The girl knew she had gotten to him the moment she said he missed her because truly, he did; even if he wouldn't admit it. Though, Connie's question wasn't to be answered yet. Adam Banks just simply didn't know why he wouldn't call November. He just couldn't.

"It hurts Connie.." Adam admitted in a cracking voice. "It hurts a lot..."

Connie scooted closer to the sudden vulnerable blond as he held his head in his hands. She placed a comforting hand on Adam's back as he shook his head and continued to speak.

"Every time I see a phone, I want to call her. I really do but I can't. It's too hard... I-I don't know why..." the pain he was experiencing was showing vividly in his voice. It was completely heartbreaking for the girl to hear.

"Adam.." she whispered in a comforting voice. Adam just gripped at his hair and shook his head rapidly, not daring to show his tear stained face to Connie.

In his lap sat still the picture frame that held blotches of tears on the glass. As much pain viewing it gave him, it also gave him a sense of warmth and nostalgia. But overall, he was a mess. A complete emotional mess.

For the first time in her life, Connie saw Adam's vulnerability. She saw the affect that this entire situation had on him. It was horrible. It changed him. He lost himself and he didn't know how to get it back; no matter how hard he tried.

Connie moved her gaze to the picture again and softly smiled to herself in a perfunctory way. The small smiles on their younger selves faces. They truly made one another happy and everyone knew that. That's why everyone knew the cause of Adam's sudden lack of life. He lost his best friend and it ruined him

"She's really special to you..." Connie asked in a whisper as she moved her head so she could look at his down casted face, "isn't she?"

Adam just sighed and rubbed his eyes, giving a curt, barley noticeable nod. "Of course.." Adam croaked out, "how can she not be.."

The last part of his statement was more a whisper to himself though Connie had heard it clearly. "What do you find so special about her?"

Without hesitation, Adam answered after finally raising his red eyed, tear stained gaze to Connie. "Everything"

The certainty in his voice made the girl give a knowing nod to herself, trying to hide the ever growing smirk as she looked away from him. For once ever since this started, Connie Moreau finally thought she had completed the puzzle. She just had a couple more pieces to put together...

Brynn speaks !

Another late update... I said I'd update three times tonight but SIKE, I'm tired so here is a rushed early morning/late night chapter... sorry

✌🏻