25| I hate you all

CONNIE MOREAU SLIPPED on her jersey that day as the entire junior varsity team prepared for their game. With Adam finally back, it would be suspected that they felt good and ready as ever but that wasn't the case. Though some wouldn't admit, they were all utterly nervous.

"You guys ready?" Charlie's voice chimed as he approached to where Guy, Connie, Adam, and Averman sat. You could see the nervousness in his eyes but knowing Charlie Conway, he wouldn't stand down from his dignity.

"Barely," Guy huffed as he finished tying up his skates, "those jerks could crush me with their fingers"

Averman scoffed a laugh and lightly slapped Guy's padded chest. "You think they'll crush you?" Averman remarked, "I'm shorter than you dude, I'm a piece of lego compared to them"

"Shut up, Averman.." Connie mumbled as she fixed up her hair for the game. Everyone turned their gaze to the suddenly grumpy girl as she down-casted her gaze to her skates.

"What's got you in a bad mood?" Averman questioned as he crossed his arms across his chest and leant up against his locker

Connie shook her head as she took her seat in front of her locker, taking a small glance around at the boys who surrounded her. "Have any of you guys spoken to Nova recently?"

Adam was the first to respond though it was nonverbal. Simply, the boy had stiffened in his spot as he drew his gaze away from the group and over to where his stuff scattered in front of his locker. He let out a small and throaty cough as he fixed up all his belongings.

"Not since Wednesday," Guy shrugged, "why?"

"Have you talked to her?" Charlie asked

With a simple shrug, Connie gave a small nod. Though, her face was contorted in confusion. "Yeah but... she seemed kinda... odd?"

Adam snapped his gaze up and exchanged looks with Charlie. Though, he didn't say anything once again. Except, as if Charlie had read Adam's mind, he spoke up. "Odd how?"

Again, Connie shrugged. "I don't know... I mean, when she called it was like... really early and she seemed to be in a rush.."

"Early?" Averman gasped in a bewildered tone, "no way..."

Guy stuck his hand out to pause further discussion so he could speak. "Hold on..." Guy thought out, "how early are we talking here?"

Connie pondered for a moment and tilted her head to the side. "Like..." she trailed on, "one in the morning in England.."

Guy, Charlie, and Averman's eyes widened in a simultaneous way. "And she wasn't grumpy?!" They all gawked together

Connie nodded vigorously with an exasperated look. "I know! Odd right?"

"Very..." Charlie inquired

Guy drew his eyebrows together and exchanged looks with Averman. "What did she say?" He asked in a curious tone

"She just said good luck on the game and that's all..."

Before the group could discuss further, Ted Orion had bursted into locker room with a determined face on. Clapping his hands together, the man was ready to pump his team up and in that, Charlie made his way beside him with a prideful smile. Though, as Orion began to start his speech, Connie suddenly felt chills race up her back. Subconsciously, she moved her gaze to the side, making eye contact with the blond boy.

Adam Banks held a fearful and jittery look. Connie gave him a simple and reassuring smile though he couldn't shake off his nerves. As much as he loved hockey and was ready for the game, he couldn't help but feel uneasy. Simply, it was the fact that hockey just didn't feel the same anymore...