36| nah she loves me

IT WAS LIKE THE first time he had laid eyes on her again. The same beautiful hair, the same beautiful eyes, and the same energy she radiated as she stood in her true nature. Just like when they were ten years old, the grin placed on her face as she frantically looked for him in the crowd. He didn't know whether to scream or to hide at the near sight of her. She was his girlfriend after all— but their playful banter seemed to be a better decision in Adam Banks' eyes.

"Charlie," Adam laughed in a whisper as he turned to the brunette beside him, "Charlie come here"

It was such a quick motion that Charlie Conway hadn't even gotten the chance to think nor react before Adam had tightly grasped his shoulders and placed him between him and his girlfriends line of view.

"Adam what are you—"

"Don't question it Conway, don't let her know I'm here"

Charlie sighed and looked out into the field before turning back to Adam, a humorous look placed on his face. "Hate to break it to you," he began, "but I don't think she really cares."

Furrowing his eyebrows, Adam gazed towards the field where he saw his girlfriend being intently focused on the game ahead of her. Occasionally, he would find her glance in the direction of him and the ducks— only occasionally. After all, he and everyone else in the crowd knew that it was November Collins and not even an atomic bomb would get her to divide her attention from what she loved.

"Over a month she hasn't seen me and she's focused about a soccer game," Adam grumbled as he fidgeted in his seat on the bleachers, crossing his arms over his chest with a pout. "I'm her goddamn boyfriend"

"Chill out Banksy," Charlie mumbled as he stared out into the field, quite done with Adam's whining. He seemed genuinely interested about the game— but everyone who knew him saw the sparkle in his eye. And everyone, especially Connie Moreau, saw him as his pupils followed a certain red headed centre back.

"Adam," Averman began as he turned to look back at the blond, "we're you not trying to hide from her?"

"Yeah and she didn't even notice!"

"Yeah well she's kinda focused on a championship game here"

Adam scoffed and shook his head. "What's so special about soccer anyway."

Julie Gaffney laughed from her spot beside Connie. "You're so lucky Nova didn't hear you say that"

Guy nodded and placed a hand on Adam's shoulder. "Yeah man, you would've been 6ft under by now"

Adam cracked a smile, turning to Guy as he brushed it off, "Nah she loves me."

"Not that much" Connie laughed as she shook her head, making everyone else join in with chuckles.

Adam, on the other hand, let out a breathy laugh as he contently sat in his seat. He forgot about his past problems for a moment as he stared out into the field. A striker caught his eye. Her focused expression— the same focused expression he had grown to love these past four years— was plastered on her countenance. Her brown hair blew lightly in the wind as she brushed her baby hairs away from her eyes.

Sitting atop the field, she received the ball. It was at that moment that Adam was brought back to the first time he laid eyes on her.

"Collins gets the puck," Nova began to say to herself, "she pushes right, now left, through the legs and past the defender! oh, will she take the shot?"

nova raised her stick back as if she were shooting before faking and pushing right again.

"oh! collins fakes the shot and goes around the goal. she sneaks past the back post and slides the puck around. she scores! super nova collins does it again! The crowd goes wild!"

she skated around and did a fake celebration to herself before she heard a series of laughter from the road. she glanced up and saw three boys, two of which were laughing. she recognised them from school. they were hockey players- Hawks as everyone liked to label them. they saw her look at them and they immediately stopped their laughs as they pushed each other to keep walking- nearly stumbling over one another. the last boy- the one that wasn't laughing, smiled at her. She knew him too. he had dirty blonde hair that was styled to the side. his bright blue eyes held eye contact with her green ones. in the boys mind, he saw an amazing hockey player. in Nova's mind, she saw a familiar stranger.

It was the same feeling he had felt then. Watching her grace the field as she seemingly made effortless fakes and passes. She was so perfect in his eyes and that was what was obvious.

The sound of her name was what snapped him out of his daze. The slowly rising volume of the crowd as they chanted "Collins, Collins!" she had the ball. Just her, up at top, against two defenders.

One push, accelerate.

Drop shoulder, fake...

then crack.

Only the ones on the field could hear the cracking sound. The sound of, perhaps, a broken bone. A broken ankle.

But the game commenced and November was able to beat one defender.

The score was 7-7. It was unlikely they could even make a comeback like that from the halftime score— but they did it. And now, it rested in November's hands.

She pushed it right before doing a quick spin to get past the defender. Or on other terms, she did a Maradona.

One on one with the goalie, Nova raised her right foot, winding up for a shot. The goalie was ready for her shot. She was ready for a wicked save.

But November didn't want a wicked shot on net.

In a quick motion, Nova faked a shot, aggressively placing her foot on the ball before dragging it across her body. There was a split second of an open shot. Just through the legs of the keeper as they processed what was going on.

another crack was heard.

perhaps it was the sound of another bone. Perhaps it was November's, perhaps it was the goalies. Or, perhaps it was the fulfilling sound of the ball gracing its way to the back of the net as November hit it off the laces of her left foot.

The satisfaction filled her as she fell to the ground due to lack of balance. She had a smile etched on her face, tears brimming her eyes. The game ended, and everyone came to her, surrounding her. But despite all the people crowding around her small self, her eyes found its way to link with blue ones she missed dearly.

In a jolt, November stood up. She would've fallen. She should've fallen— especially in her condition.

But after all, not even an atomic bomb could keep November Collins from what she loved.

Brynn speaks

yeah I'm back or wtvr.

sorry this is bad, I just don't like unfinished stuff 😝

✌🏻