Chapter 10; Roots

I walked down the road, my eyes scanning my surroundings. "(Y/N)!? What the fuck happened!?" I heard him typing on the computer.
"Nice to hear you too. Will you calm down, I'm fine. It was just a little chat with the asshole, how's the team?" I ask crossing the road.
"They are in the room with me. You're on speaker." I sigh a little and look at the barren streets.
"Well then, hey guys, see you tomorrow I'll brief you more then. I have a brother to go calm down, bye guys."

They all answered with a bye as I opened the door ending the call. My brother was sitting on the couch the tv on the news station, he looked at me frozen. "H-" I was cut off by him tackling me into a tight hug, I hugged him tightly, we sat on the floor silently. I heard a sharp breath from him, his body was tense and I felt water drip onto my shoulder. I just sat there holding him, I could tell these were tears of relief but part of me felt sorrow as well. "I t-thought you were going to die!" He cries out, I bit my lip and felt tears pull at my eyes. "I thought you were going to leave me too!" I took a deep breath and began to mumble a lullaby to him, one that mother sang to me, that I've sang to him for as long as I could remember.

(I don't own the song^^)

My voice was quiet and I little hoarse from holding back my tears and sobs myself, I pet his head gently. His uneven breaths slowly calmed, he listened to my breath and mother's song. The lyrics made me think of him and how people put him down, but he always comes back stronger. He will be better than I've ever been, make a real difference for the world.

The words felt like turpentine on my tongue, he slowly sat up and wiped his eyes. We sat on the floor, the door sat open still. The cool night breeze filled the room, I could feel his heartbeat slow and the blood coursing normally through his body. He was calm. I finished the song and we just sat there for awhile, him leaning on my shoulder. I knew that I couldn't provide the perfect life or ideal situation but I tried to but his needs before my own. I'd throw myself into jail if it meant he'd live a successful and long life, I'd rather live a miserable end then mess up his chance to live a wonderful, long life.

Before I knew it I was in the kitchen making dinner while he watched the action on the news, I hummed softly mixing the sauce for the pasta. "Oh my god... sis... AllMight shrunk!" I heard him yell, I lean back looking over at the small living area. My eyes widened as I stared at the frail AllMight, I cussed under my breath and turned back to the sauce.
"It'll be fine... I'm sure." I mumble to him, not knowing if I was comforting myself or him. I didn't want to watch if he failed... that meant All For One would be the most powerful being on earth. I didn't want that.

My brother kept telling me what was happening then he cheered loudly, I finally finish plating everything and go out there. I see AllMight pointing at the camera, his face shrouded in black. Then he spoke, "It's your turn." The statement was brief and something about it had a sorrow feeling to it.
"Come get dinner." I said quietly and ushered him to the kitchen to eat. "And turn the tv off please." I mumble out, I walked to kitchen not turning to see if he followed.

...A few days later...

I sat shifting through the mail, something I've been putting off for a few days. I shift through it before I come across a letter from the school, I mental cuss and open the letter. A knock rang out before I could actually read the letter, I stand up and grab a kitchen knife. I didn't plan any visitors so I was cautious, my brother wasn't home at the moment either if I had to I could take them out without too much regret. I opened the door the knife hidden behind it, I was greeted with my tired teacher's face. "M-Mr. Aizawa! I wasn't expecting you here! G-give me one moment!"

I close the door and put the knife down, I quickly start to pick the house up a bit, I threw my brother's homework stuff into his backpack and up the small set of stairs. I made the house look well kept... well as well kept as a run down home could. I walk back to the door and smile. "My apologies, please come in."
"Where is your father, Miss Chikako?" He asked I bit my lip and had to come up with a lie as he walked into my home.
"He's overseas, still in America, he comes home every few months." I answer as honest sounding as I could.
"Oh I see, well by your reaction I assume that you didn't get the letter."
"Oh!" I quickly go to the living room coffee table and pick it up, "you mean this, no I did, I've just been putting off opening the mail. You came right before I got I chance to read it." I say holding the letter. "Please sit down, do you want anything?" I ask him trying to be welcoming but I wasn't sure I was doing it right.
"Then I'll tell you," he paused sitting down on the small couch and I stood across from him. "We wish for you to move into dorms that were built for your class." I froze, "you'd be there for the rest of the school year and—"
"I can't." I cut him off, my voice becoming more territorial like.
"What's the problem, Miss Chikako?" He asked straighten his posture.
"I take care of my brother, I'm the provider since... Dad isn't here. I take care of my younger brother, I use the money Dad sends to buy the necessities. He's only 13 Mr. Aizawa."