41 » coffee shop memories

well look who's back with another chapter 👀

so sorry to keep you waiting.

however, i hope you enjoy this chapter.

-

Haise had been waiting patiently for you at the table for about half an hour. Not that he minded, since he was busy keeping Aki and Makoto quiet. However, he didn't know why or what it was, but he felt as if somebody was staring at his every move, making the hairs on his back stand upright.

It was then he saw a few figures in the corner if his eye wander out from a room, causing him to hum and look up. He smiled upon seeing you with a few other people who he was guessing were your friends from ages ago that worked here.

He studied all of them intensely, immediately recognising all of them for some odd reason. A stinging sensation emitted from the back of his head instantly, causing him to squeeze his eyes shut and wince in pain.

Then, everything turned black, once again.

••••

"Haise." That familiar deep voice pulled Haise awake, eyes roaming around the checkered room.

He was here once again, wasn't he?

"What do you want, Kaneki?" Haise asked, standing up on the tiled floor as he heard the certain rustling of chains from behind him.

It was then he smelt a strong smell that took over his senses. Knowing it was Kaneki, the ghoul that constantly begged for acceptance, Haise spun around. He was met with a distressed looking make with messy, white hair, dull, grey eyes and cut and scarred feet and wrists that had chains tightly latched around them.

"Those people. You recognise them, don't you?" Kaneki whispered, referring to the people at :Re.

"I do. Although I don't know why." Was Haise's reply as he knitted his eyebrows together in utter confusion.

Kaneki chuckled in amusement. "They're your friends, Haise."

Haise looked at his past self in the eye, "My friends?"

"Yes," Kaneki begun, "You're friends. They were the first people you met in Anteiku."

"Anteiku?" Haise questioned in confusion.

"To make a long story short," Kaneki sighed and ran a hand through his snowy white hair, "Anteiku was the first coffee shop before it unfortunately got burned down. Now :Re is the coffee shop that got built because Anteiku got destroyed."

Haise nodded in understanding, almost remembering something. However, it wasn't coming to him. None of this was piecing together at all just yet. And that's why he desperately needed Ken Kaneki's help- he needed his past self to help him understand- to help him understand where and who he actually was in life. He hated having no memories at all. He hated waking up everyday constantly forgetting who and where he was. He hated the fact that he thought he was a burden to you, the love of his life for years. But of course, he never knew that, did he? All because one investigator got threatened by another and then... They did that one undescribable action that not only ruined and nearly ended his life, but yours as well.

"Kaneki..." Haise managed to heave out, his breathes becoming haggard. This caught the attention of the other white haired male stood in front of him.

"Haise?" Kaneki called out, confused as to why Haise looked as if he was about to collapse.

Uneven breaths escaped the others mouth as he closed his eyes and tried to regain his posture as well as his breathing.

"None of this is making any sense to me..." Haise said in a painful whisper, the stinging sensation forming in the back of his head once again.

"That's why you need to accept me. If you do, all of your memories should come back in no time." Kaneki explained.

"But... That means I will be you. I can't do that to Y/n and everyone else. That's not fair." Haise said, breathing finally returning back to normal once again.

"But don't you want that? Don't you want to be your old self again and for everything to go back to normal?" Kaneki asked, sounding confused yet demanding.

"... No." Haise replied after a bit if hesitation.

"No?" Kaneki scoffed.

"I don't want to be someone I'm not. I just want to be myself. And if you can't see that, then you're clearly no help to me at all." The male with black and white locks said, glaring at the powerful ghoul who stood in front of him.

"You're making all the wrong choices, Haise... It's really not that hard. All you need to do is accept me." Kaneki whispered.

"Why can't you just leave me alone? This is my life now, not yours. Why are you doing this, Kaneki?" Haise snapped suddenly, causing the other to step back slightly.

Tears filled up in Kaneki's shiny grey eyes before he whimpered, "I... Miss Y/n..."

Haise gulped as he looked at the other softly, feeling bad for yelling at him a few seconds ago. He watched with sorrow in his eyes as Kaneki sobbed into his hands, his ice cold tears running down his cheeks before splattering onto the checkered floor below him.

"But... We- I mean... You see her?" Haise muttered in confusion.

"No, Haise..." Kaneki begun, tearing his hands away from his face that was now smothered in cold, icy tears, "I miss hearing her melodious voice, I miss seeing her for myself, I miss hugging her and holding her tightly in my arms, never wanting to let her go, I miss kissing her all the time to remind her of how much I love her and I miss saying 'I love you' to her everyday."

Haise nodded in understanding. He understood. He really did. However, he just didn't know what to do about it.

"I miss her, Haise... None of this would've happened if that stupid investigator didn't stab my eyes out!" Kaneki yelled as tears kept rolling down his cheeks rapidly.

"An investigator stabbed my eyes out?" Muttered Haise in confusion.

"Yes," Kaneki said, "All because this investigator threatened him. Now I want revenge."

Haise gulped as Kaneki's voice lowered and his eyes darkened.

"Haise, listen here..."