[26]

thursday.

one day before the date.

seungmin's mind was still a mess.

do i trust him or not?

"i have to ask him. in person. i have to confront him," seungmin said decidedly to himself, picking up his phone to dial jeongin's number.

"hello? innie?"

"hi hyung. what's up?"

"do you... do you know anyone who drives a car? i need a ride."

-

twenty minutes later, seungmin sat awkwardly beside professor chan, looking out of the window to avoid any possible eye contact.

jeongin, to seungmin's horror, had asked professor chan to pick him up. but fortunately, said he didn't mind, brushing it off with a, "i've got nothing to do at home anyways."

so there they were, seungmin in the front passenger seat with professor chan next to him, eyes fixated on the road, both of them waiting for the other to start a conversation.

"so..." chan coughed, "any reason why you're heading to..." chan paused as he peered at his phone with the address in it, "two yellow wood drive?"

"it's... it's complicated," seungmin decided to leave his answer as that, silence filling up the car again.

soon, they arrived at the house, chan stopping the car for seungmin to get off, "are you going to take long? i can drive you back too if you'd like."

"that would be great, thanks," seungmin gave him a grateful smile as he hopped out of the car, "i won't take long, just give me a few minutes."

chan flashed him a thumbs up before backing out of the driveway to park properly, as seungmin hurriedly ran up to the main door, sort of breathless as he rang the doorbell.

hyunjin opened it shortly after, his hair disheveled and his eyes tired and drowsy. however, once he saw seungmin, he immediately straightened his back and put on his award winning charming smile, leaning against the doorway as he tilted his head.

"hey seung, what are you here for?"

"i'm here to confront you," seungmin took in a deep breath, staring into hyunjin's now surprised eyes. he could only hope that hyunjin didn't notice his trembling hands.

"for?" hyunjin tentatively stated, his cocky dementor suddenly replaced with a rather timid one, and he even physically shrunk back a little.

"jongho... he told me that you were going to dump me right after you were going to kiss me... is it true?" seungmin asked, his voice shaky as he searched hyunjin's eyes to find a glimmer of truth, or anything else that hid behind it.

seungmin felt his heart plummet down when hyunjin didn't reply, as he stood there, a stunned silence filling the up world in between the two boys.

"so it's true," seungmin's eyes filled with tears as he backed away from hyunjin, his face written with obvious hurt and disbelief, shaking his head to deny the reality, "i really am just one of your toys, huh?"

"seungmin! no, wait!"

but by the time hyunjin had come back to his senses, seungmin was already running down the driveway, fleeting from hyunjin's grasp. he watched seungmin enter someone's car, as they sped away, leaving hyunjin in the dust.

guilt overwhelmed hyunjin, hitting him like a tidal wave as he groaned frustratedly, running his fingers through his hair.

"i definitely messed up this time."