[41]

seungmin's eyes flutter open, and it takes a moment for him to remember where he was and what he was doing.

glancing up at the sky, his heart sinks when he sees that it's pitch black, and he already knows that he had missed the concert. but he shook off those thoughts, now worried about his boyfriend.

checking his watch, he realised that he had been asleep for two whole hours, and that hyunjin still wasn't out yet.

if i don't make it out alive...

seungmin blinks, and his blood runs cold

he wasn't serious when he said that, was he?

just as seungmin was about to panic and call his friends for help, a knock on the window calms him down instantly, breathing out a huge sigh of relief.

strangely hyunjin had a huge smile on his face as he hopped into the car, seungmin raises a suspicious eyebrow.

"did you kill your father or something?"

"wh— no! why so dark?"

"because you look wayyy too happy for being someone who had at least fifteen mental breakdowns today before coming here."

"it went well," hyunjin breathes out, giving seungmin a wide smile, "it went really well."

"tell me all about it," seungmin leans towards hyunjin, but hyunjin just starts up the car, eyes focused on the road.

"okay, but let's go somewhere first."

-

"the beach?" seungmin frowns, "it's like ten pm now."

"i know but," hyunjin lowers the windows down, "it's peaceful here, no?"

"you have a point," seungmin nestles back into his chair, staring out at the empty beach, watching the waves lap up to shore before retreating back to the ocean.

"oh shit!" hyunjin suddenly jumps up, eyes widening, "the concert! i totally forgot about it!"

"it's fine," seungmin said quietly, "you're more important than any concert. don't worry about it."

"i still feel bad though," hyunjin pouts, rubbing his nape, "i'll make it up to you. i promise."

"there's no need," seungmin shakes his head reassuringly, "you bought me the tickets in the first place anyways."

hyunjin was about to reply when seungmin cut him off quickly, changing the subject.

"so tell me what happened! i want to know."

"okay well," hyunjin took a deep breath, "i told him i didn't want to take over the company, and of course, he didn't take that really well. he started giving me a two hour lecture on how ungrateful i was, and how i was a useless son."

hyunjin cringes a little at that, memory flashing in his mind.

"after the lecture, he said he'd give the position to my younger sister. then he proceeded to physically kick me out of his study, not not before he called me a disgrace to the hwang family, and how he never wants to see me again."

hyunjin finished with a content smile, "so as you can tell, it went really well."

"i can't tell you're being sarcastic or not," seungmin chuckles before adding, "but i'm glad you're happy. see, you have been stressing out for so long and look at the outcome."

"i know," hyunjin flashes an embarrassed grin, "but i'm just glad i've ended it all with my family. do you know what that means?"

hyunjin leans towards seungmin, grasping his hands in his own, "i'm free."

"i'm happy for you," seungmin responds, intertwining their fingers, "i knew you could do it."

suddenly, a tear trickles down hyunjin's cheek, and seungmin widens his eyes in surprise, "why... why are you crying?"

"i'm just so happy," hyunjin mumbles, looking at seungmin lovingly, as if the younger was the only thing he could see in that moment, "that it's all over. and i'm just so thankful that you're still with me."

hyunjin continues before seungmin could get a word in,

"i wouldn't have been able to do this without you. and the fact that i could have almost let you go..."

"don't be silly," seungmin whispered, gently wiping away his tears, "i'm with you right now, and that's all that matters."

"promise me you'll stay," hyunjin lets out a choked sob, staring at seungmin with fear-filled eyes.

suddenly, seungmin could see a glimpse of hyunjin's past nine year old self flash behind hyunjin's tearing irises, small and cowering, and it pained him to see how hurt hyunjin was in that moment of time.

"no one ever stayed with me before..."

"i'll stay," seungmin says firmly, kissing hyunjin's tear-stained cheek, repeating, "i'll stay."

"people ask me why..." hyunjin's voice cracks, "why i do what i did, why i did this to people... why i like to play with their feelings, why i like to hurt them, but actually, i'm just protecting myself."

"and no one understands that."

hyunjin sobs, breaking away from seungmin's arms, curled up in a small ball.

"i just don't want to be left alone again."

seungmin felt himself tear up at this sight, the boy he loved most, emotionally scarred and breaking down in front of him.

the same boy that he had once hated, the same annoying boy that would pester him for hours, the very same boy that bloomed with self confidence and self love was now crumbling before him, pouring his soul out.

seungmin just then realised that even the most confident person could be hiding something deep inside, and that no one is perfect. that's what make us all human; we all have our own monsters to fight, it just that some people's are bigger than others.

we are all the same in the end of the day, just some of us are more weak and fragile from battling our demons.

"y-you understand right?"

hyunjin lifts his face, pearls of tears cascading down his cheeks, pain evident in his eyes.

"i understand," seungmin mumbles, reaching out to hold hyunjin's hand again, "let it out. let it all out."

"they say i'm the villain," hyunjin sniffs, shaking his head, "but i just didn't want to get hurt again. i did this for myself."

"i don't think my heart would have been able to take it if someone left me again."

"that's why i always had to leave before they left me. i couldn't get myself emotionally attached to someone."

hyunjin finally finishes, and seungmin squeezes his hand comfortingly, no more words exchanged. only the faint singing from the cd player could be heard, day6's honey voices filling up the silence.

seungmin leans into hyunjin, placing his head on his shoulder, and hyunjin wraps his arm around the younger, pressing a kiss onto his forehead.

soon, raindrops comes thudding down, gently hitting the roof of the car. the two boys closes their eyes as they slowly drift off to sleep to the sound of the rain and the song 'i would' that was now playing from the speakers softly.

-

a/n: sorry for the sad vibes i just needed my weekly fill of angst