CHAPTER 4

"Oh, I heard it," Allison, Emma's mother answered. Her bright smile burned Emma's stomach with worry. They knew. They had to. "It was about the woman in love with her sisters' boyfriend, right?"

Larissa laughed - delicately as only she could. "That's the one. What a riot right?"

Emma watched Larissa suspiciously, wondering if her conniving sister was toying with her or not. It was hard to tell. Larissa had always had a good poker face. She had the uncanny ability to kill you with a smile while looking like she'd just come off the runway.

"Did you listen to it Em?" asked Larissa. Emma blinked and stared back at her, slightly fearful of her wide grin. It looked sweet but Emma wasn't sure she could trust it.

She cleared her throat and looked at her lap. Maybe if she played coy, she'd survive the evening. "Yeah, I heard it. It was interesting." She aimed for indifference, but her voice wobbled. She was so bad at this.

Larissa grunted softly. Emma looked up again. "Interesting isn't the half of it. It was entertaining!" Emma had to restrain herself from rolling her eyes. She should have known. Larissa was all about the gossip and drama. Next to her. Eamon scratched his nape and pulled his lips in. He had a firm frown and his eyes were distant in thought. It was hard to look away, particularly because he hadn't shaved yet. The light dusting of little hairs around his sharp jaw made him look rugged. It should be illegal to be that good looking.

"I found the whole thing odd," Eamon eventually grumbled.

"What do you mean baby?" asked Larissa. She turned her body towards him and laid her manicured hand on his thigh.

"I just found it all to be invasive. Joey had no right to be spreading the story on radio." Emma smiled softly. She knew there was a reason she liked him. He was a gentleman, always on the lookout to be chivalrous. It was what had drawn her to him at first - his instinct to care for the simple man on the street.

Larissa scoffed. "It's not invasive. The woman is still out there, safe with her secret and we get some entertainment." Emma perked up. Could it be? Could her day finally be looking up? Could Larissa not know the truth, still? Flying cows, she hoped so.

"Her life shouldn't be entertainment," argued Eamon. Emma swooned a bit in her seat. He was defending her, and it was almost as amazing as the times he'd done it in her fantasies.

"Her life isn't but, the scenario is. It's a good talking point," defended Larissa. Emma watched silently cheering for disaster in her mind. It wasn't a lot but, the small argument brewing between the couple made her want to smile. She never believed Larissa was right for Eamon.

"How do you figure that?" asked Eamon.

"It questions moral standing," Allison answered, jumping to her daughters' defense. Nothing new there. "Tonight, people are going to be sitting at their dinner table, arguing about whether this woman is doing something morally right or wrong. The answers provided can give you a lot of insight into the people around you."

"Not everyone looks to psychoanalyze those around them mom," Emma added bitterly. Since her mother's illness had taken a turn for the worst twelve years ago, she had made it a habit to take as many online courses as possible. Two years ago, it was psychology. This year, it was photography.

"I see your point, Allison," Eamon concluded. He leaned closer to Larissa, much to Emma's dismay. "It is interesting," he continued. "Where do you stand on the issue, Allison?" Emma turned towards her mother. Emma valued her opinion a lot. Allison's opinion could mean the difference between an ally or a foe.

Allison thought for a moment while she ran her left hand up and down her left leg, always stopping just above the knee. Her mother only did that when she was in pain. Emma frowned, no longer caring about the answer. At least it wasn't the right leg she touched, though it still worried Emma that her mother was in pain.