CHAPTER 27

Emma didn't want to go to her parents that Sunday. When her father played his guilt card, Emma had no choice. She knew her parents still worried about her, especially after her hiking accident. She was too tired to socialize with anyone and her heart was still too bitter to fake pleasantries. After her discovery at Joey's place the night before, all Emma wanted was ice-cream and a box of Kleenex.

She pushed it all aside regardless and drove to visit her parents. She was relieved to see only her fathers' car in the driveway. Emma did not want to deal with her sister. She'd already felt beaten by one beautiful woman; she did not want to double her number.

"My baby is here," gushed Emma's mother from the doorway. Emma rolled her eyes playfully and bent down to hug her mother.

"I'm a bit big to be a baby," she said teasingly.

"Nonsense, you'll always be my baby." Her mother moved so the handles on her chair faced Emma. "Be a dear and push."

Emma frowned. "Is everything alright?" she asked while pushing her mother towards the living room. "You never like for me to push you."

Her mother yawned and said, "I'm just a little tired today is all." Emma left her mother next to the biggest sofa and took a seat beside her. She stared at her mother in worry. Her eyes were sunken, and her skin was pale. A new form of worry overtook Emma.

"Mom," said Emma.

"Oh hush," her mother interrupted. "I'm perfectly fine. It's the new medication that's taking some getting used to."

"Is it helping?" Emma was only in the competition for her mother. If the drugs were a bust, Emma would be free from it all.

"It is," her mother answered. "The improvement isn't major but I'm feeling a little bit better. My last results were good. Eamon feels quite positive about the treatment."

Emma's mood soured even more at the mention of Eamon. Hearing his name reminded Emma of the fight she'd had with Joey the night before. Emma cursed her thinking. It wasn't really a fight. It had been more of a rude revelation. She hated being reminded not to aim high with men. She knew better. She should also know better with Eamon.

Her mother noticed her frown. "What happened?" she asked. Emma started shaking her head and tried to turn away. Her mother gripped her arm and said, "tell me. Something is upsetting you."

Her mothers' gentle tone stabbed at her heart worse and suddenly all the hurt she faced and had ignored came bursting out of her. Her tears fell heavily down her cheeks. Her mother wanted answers and Emma desperately wanted to talk about it. She knew she couldn't though. How could she come clean with the truth? The shame she'd feel from disappointing her mother would be far worse than the shame she felt believing Joey had real feelings for her. She should have known better. A man like Joey would never be into her for real.

Emma could see it all clearly. Joey's hands on her. His devious smirk that held promises and the adoration that softened his eyes. She wanted to believe it wasn't fake. She wanted to believe that all she thought she saw in him, was true. Rather, it was Taylor's words which haunted her.

Her mother wrapped her in a hug and Emma lost her willpower. "I'm just so ashamed," she cried out. She tried to hide her wet face in her mothers' shoulder.

"Ashamed of what?" her mother asked. A shaking hand waded through her thick hair.

"I thought it was true." She shook her head. "I started to believe it but turned out it was all a lie. I thought he was different."

"Ah, so that's what this is about." Her mother sighed. Her mother pulled her head away from her shoulder. Emma had no choice but to peak embarrassingly at her mother. "You've fallen for Joey."