CHAPTER 38

The music poured through the speakers and seeped through her skin down to her nerves,setting everything ablaze along its way. She was buzzing with nervousness. Butterflies rumbled aggressively in her stomach and her skin felt clammy. His hand was tight around her waist and her body flush against his chest. She could feel every indent and every delicious curve of his body. It left her a pile of mush.

He hadn't said much except to ask for her hand. Emma didn't think too much about it. She was too overjoyed with being so close to the man who had held her heart for so long. She'd always believed it an impossibility but finally, it seemed life was working in her favor.

The song slowed gently in tempo as one ended and another began. Eamon's hand moved from her waist and down to the small of her back where he curled his arm right around her. It forced their bodies closer, so close that her cheek was pressed against his and his lips by her ear. He started to hum along to the music.

"This is nice," he said softly. The grumble of his voice sent vibrations down her spine. She couldn't trust her voice, so she nodded. "We don't ever get to do this."

She hummed in agreement and then, curiosity got the better of her. "Why is that?"

She felt his shoulders move with a shrug. She hadn't dared to look at him yet; it meant moving her face and she wasn't ready. "Your sister," he said with a heavy sigh, "does not like to share. It's a fault I used to admire."

"But now you don't," she said, filling in the blanks.

"Now, I find her possessive and controlling."

Emma was shocked. She'd believed for so long that Eamon doted on Larissa because of blind infatuation. Perhaps she'd seen only what she wanted to. "Why stay with her then?" she asked softly. She cringed at the slight desperation in her voice.

Emma wished for him to realize the truth, the truth that a life with Larissa meant a life with a leech; one who sucked all the joy out. Sure, she was beautiful. She was a fun person to be around but, if she wasn't the center of attention, she turned nasty. Larissa had the sickening trait of always wanting to feel important, screw everyone else.

If only Eamon could see the truth. Emma believed Eamon was a smart and intuitive man who'd see beyond a gorgeous body and see the ugliness underneath. She'd been mistaken. He'd been blinded by lust like every other man Larissa came near.

"It's not so simple," Eamon finally answered.

Emma frowned. "I believe it is."

He chuckled. "You would. You see things as right or wrong and no grey in-between."

"That's because there isn't."

"This time there is," he answered sadly. "Larissa, she's," he paused and gathered his thoughts. "We have fun together. In some ways, I do love her, but I know she isn't the one I'm meant to be with."

"Then why stay with her?" asked Emma.

"She pushes me to be great and she fulfills my needs." Emma scrunched her face at the insinuation. "I don't just mean physically," he said with a chuckle, "I mean that she plays her role well."

"That sounds terrible."

He shrugged. "It's what I need. It may be shallow but there's more to this than you'll ever understand."

"What I understand is that you're using my sister." Larissa was a lot of things; most of them terrible but, through it all, she was her sister. Emma wouldn't stand by and allow her to be used.

"Don't make it sound so crass. Larissa is aware of her role and she's in full support. None of us are at fault."

"You're confusing me. What's really going on?" Emma pulled back and looked at him. Herfeet ceased their dancing and his followed. Eamon looked resigned. After a moment of silence, Eamon shook his head. He continued to move them again.