CHAPTER 7

Emma wasn't sure what to expect while walking through the doors of Radio 769 the next morning. The building was huge but plain compared to the image she had in her mind. She had expected a bold building with colored walls, music through the speakers, and an air of cool stylishness. It was just a simple office building; one she'd miss were it any other day.

The first thing Emma did was walk towards the receptionist. She was a young woman with half her head shaved and the other half spiked and bright pink. She looked barely out of high school with midnight painted nails and acne hidden behind pounds of makeup. She looked out of place against the stale grey interior and muffled classical music in the background.

"Hi, welcome to Radio 769. How can I help you?" Her voice contradicted her look. The young lady was all smiles and perky attitude. The woman's smile had a way of warming the cool environment. Emma was blindsided.

"I'm supposed to meet Joey Levy. I'm Emma Ullmann." she said uncertainly.

The receptionist looked at her table and perked up. "You're just in time. He arrived ten minutes ago. If you hurry, you should catch him before they have their preshow briefing." She passed Emma a visitors' tag and pointed towards the elevator down the hall. "It's on the third floor."

"Thank you," she said quietly and followed the directions. Emma had plenty time to think while alone in the cold box. Too much time. It allowed her to curse Joey out and plot his death ten different ways. Emma didn't want any part of Joey's ridiculous scheme but, the money was too good to pass. Her mother needed the treatment. If there were any other way to help her mother, Emma would jump at it. She just hoped she wasn't making a mistake. She had a lot to lose in the game and nothing to gain. She just had to hold her head high, play her cards right and pray to everything that her infatuation remained a secret.

No matter what, Eamon and Larissa could never know the truth.

The bell dinged and the elevator doors opened. It all played out so final in her mind. She stepped out onto the grey speckled carpet and looked around. The lady downstairs hadn't told her where to go from here. Not that there was much around her. The floor was divided into three large rooms with thick glass she couldn't see through. Only a few small cubicles surrounded the remaining space but, the seats were unoccupied.

Emma walked around slowly feeling every bit like an intruder. She kept hoping someone would stick their head out just so she didn't feel like a criminal.

"Can I help you?" Emma squeaked and turned quickly. An older woman stood there with a notebook in her hand and a pen balancing over her ear. She looked friendly enough to Emma.

"I was supposed to meet Joey Levy," she said quietly. She wondered for a moment if she were even on the right floor. She had pushed three, hadn't she?

The woman's eyes widened. "You're Emma, right?" She nodded and the woman smiled brightly and rushed to her. She gripped Emma's hands in hers and practically screamed, "It's so great to meet you. I'm Linda Hayler. I'm on the show with Joey."

Emma's eyes shot open in surprise. "You're Linda?" The woman nodded. "You're not what I was expecting."

Linda laughed. "I look older right?" Emma agreed but dare not say anything. "I get that a lot. My voice doesn't seem to match my face." She shrugged and began pulling Emma towards the middle office. "I heard about Toby's plan with your situation. That's why you're here right, to be part of the game?"

"Yeah," she mumbled. "Joey told me that you want to do an interview with me today and introduce the concept to the listeners."

"That's the plan. But you don't have to be scared," she said quickly. "We've got equipment that can alter your voice, so it'll be anonymous. We've also had to sign non-disclosures."