CHAPTER 37

Emma was never one to enjoy dressing up, but she did love the times she could. There was nothing better than feeling spritzed up and glamorous but, when given the choice, she'd always choose sweats. The cotton emerald dress she wore however, was a close contender. It was soft to the touch and light as it fell from her shoulders to her feet. She felt like she was wearing a cloud. She knew she'd be sleeping in the dress later that night.

She owed Lucy greatly for buying her the dress.

"You look stunning," whispered Joey into her ear. She smiled. They'd just arrived at the banquet. Though they hadn't entered yet, the lush red-carpet entrance left Emma feeling out of place again.

Emma looked at Joey besude her, apprecaiting how well he cleaned up. He wore a basic dark suit and a sleek black tie. He hadn't gone overboard with his outfit. He still looked handsome. It didn't matter to her that his suit was probably a sale item. It looked like it was made for him. He really wore it well.

"You look handsome," she complimented him. It surprised her when his eyes lit up at her words. Shock resonated across his features. "What?" she asked him.

He shook his head with a small smile on his lips. "I was beginning to wonder if you were even attracted to me anymore."

"What are you talking about?" she asked with a frown.

He shrugged and reached for her hand. "You never compliment me."

"Whatever. I just happen to believe compliments mean more when they're heard less frequently."

He shook his head with a sigh. "That's where we're different. I'd want to tell you how beautiful you are all the time. One day, maybe then you'll believe me."

Emma was floored by his words. She'd actually stopped in her tracks and stared at him. "What makes you think I don't believe you?" she asked in a whisper.

"I see the way you frown when I say that to you. It's like it makes you uncomfortable." She looked away from him. He brought his finger out to pull her eyes back on him. "I can stop if it makes you uncomfortable, but I want you to know that I mean it when I say those words. You may not feel beautiful, especially when you compare yourself to others but to me, you're stunning."

She gulped and nodded at him. She wasn't sure how to respond. She'd never been spoken to like that, so openly and boldly before. It was unnerving how he made her feel with such simple words. Her stomach looped, and her hands shook. Truthfully, she never wanted him to stop telling her how beautiful she was. She loved hearing it but, she wasn't sure she'd ever believe it for herself. One thing she did believe was that Joey truly meant his words. It was his honesty that had her heart beating so fast.

They didn't say more after that. Instead, they continued their way up the stairs and into the grand ballroom. Upon entry, Joey gasped out a breathless, "wow." Emma couldn't agree with him more. The hospital had spared no expense with their decorating. It felt like an invasion stepping against the extravagance of the room.

They walked with their heads raised as they stared in awe at the grandeur of the room. "Where are we-" Joey started but was interrupted by Emma's name being called from across the room. They turned to see who had yelled so loudly and found her father standing near a table with his hands waving about wildly.

She chuckled and pointed at her dad. "We're over there," she answered Joey's question. He nodded and walked with his hand on the small of her back towards the table. Emma felt the heat of his hand seep through her dress. It comforted her knowing he was there, standing firm beside her. They reached the table and Emma made a beeline towards her mother. She smothered her in a tight hug and gushed about how beautiful she looked. Her mother blushed. Emma moved on to greet her father and smiled seeing him already in conversation with Joey. Their hands were in a firm handshake and they were both smiling. That was good.