CHAPTER 35

Emma didn't remember when last she'd laughed so much or, when last she'd felt so relaxed. She found herself spending most of the day with Joey and his family. They played poker and chatted. Aunt Meryl had asked a lot of questions, as Joey had warned. What had shocked Emma was how easily she answered the questions. She told Meryl things she hadn't even admitted to her own parents. It was confusing.

Joey had been attentive to her all day. He'd touched her openly and kissed her openly. She'd never been comfortable with public displays of affection. With Joey, it was different. It felt natural to peck him between topics. It felt natural to hold his hand and have his hand on her leg. It felt natural to sit on the sofa with his arm around her shoulder.

It was unnerving. She'd never been with someone in that way and it had her feeling unsettled.

Just before sunset, she left their place. She'd felt bad about neglecting Gina. She was also worried about her friend. Gina's health had been deteriorating. Emma wanted to check up on. She drove quickly to Charles' place. She knocked on the door with a smile. She still felt happy after spending the day with Joey.

Charles answered the door soon after. Gloom saddened his face. He looked on the verge of collapse. Emma's heart instantly sunk to her stomach. Her joy vanished. "What happened?" she asked quickly.

"She's getting worse Emma. I don't know what to do anymore." answered Charles. His eyes watered.

"Tell me everything."

Charles sighed. "She's been asleep most of the day. She's going on her tenth straight hour of sleep. She's weak and she doesn't know when she needs the bathroom. Last night I went to check on her and she was asleep laying in her own feaces. I had to carry her to the shower and clean her." He started shaking. Emma gently put a hand on his shoulder. She'd heard enough.

"We need to get to Fairview. I'll call the hospital." Charles nodded with a heavy drop on his shoulders. He looked like he held the world on him. "Charles," Emma said delicately. "I'm not her doctor but I think-"

"I know," he interrupted. He swallowed. "I know it's the end." Emma didn't know what more to say. Instead, she wrapped her arms around him and let him cry on her shoulders. It was awkward to have her employer cry on her. When he'd calmed himself down, Charles excused himself. He left to go contact other family members. Emma called the hospital.

Fifteen minutes later, an ambulance arrived. Two paramedics morbidly entered to carefully cart Gina away. She was still asleep and thankfully, still breathing. Emma wondered how much longer that would last. She considered a hospice for Gina, but Charles was insistent that her doctor first check her over.

During her solo ride to the hospital all Emma could think about was her guilt. She'd been so wrapped up in the ridiculous competition that she hadn't been as focused on Gina as she should have been. Even when she was present, Emma's mind was always elsewhere. She'd been going through the motions of in-house care and in turn, she'd neglected to do what her job required most- be there and observe.

Emma arrived at the hospital behind the ambulance. She'd spent the drive on a self-deprecation ride. She shouldn't have spent the day with Joey. She should have been there for her patient and friend. None of it mattered once Emma saw Gina. They'd placed an oxygen mask on her. Emma's heartbeat rose as her worry increased tenfold.

They rushed her to ICU. Not even ten minutes later, Dr. Malory walked in. She was dressed sharply in her white lab coat and a deadpanned look her face. Emma knew Stella Malory well enough to know that whenever she stood without a smile, it meant only bad news. When the doctor was in front of Gina's bed, she looked between Charles and Emma. "Charles it's good to see you." He nodded in greeting. "We'll be monitoring your mother here and we've taken some blood samples. I don't have results yet of all the necessary tests we still need to conduct. From my assessment, it's already clear what's wrong. I'm so sorry Charles but it seems you mothers' cancer has got worse. I'm afraid that we're now on the home stretch. Your mothers' last test had showed the tumor having grown by 20cm and it had already started overtaking her body. She isn't strong enough for more surgery or chemo."

Charles nodded and stared down at his mother. "I know. She was terminal already."

Stella walked up to Charles and placed a firm hand on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry to have to have to tell you this but, you should prepare yourself. The odds that she'd make it until tomorrow, are low. We will keep her as comfortable as we can, but her body is already shutting down."

Emma watched through her own watery eyes at Charles crying. He didn't say anything further and Stella and Emma both felt it better to leave. Emma wasn't sure what to do as she walked away from the ICU wards. She continued towards the hospital café in a daze. She didn't want to leave. She wanted to be there for Charles and Gina anyway she could.

Emma eventually found a seat at the café and drank the bland filtered coffee. All the while, her mind fogged up with the latest news.

"Emma."

She looked up at the sound of her name. She was surprised to see Eamon smiling down at her. "May I join you?" Emma was too frazzled to reply. Eamon didn't seem to mind. He pulled up a chair and smiled at her. Emma was hesitant. It had been years since they last shared a meal at the hospital. She wasn't sure what to make of the new development.

"So, are we having dinner?" he asked. His lips stretched into a wide smile. His eyes were bright and honest. Emma swooned in her seat and answered with a grin. Dinner with Eamon seemed like a great distraction. 

A/N: Comment an emoji that best shows your reaction to this chapter