CHAPTER 32

"I'm still mad at you," Emma said quickly as Joey opened the door.

He shrugged, seeming unfazed by her brazen attitude. "Come in." He stepped aside and Emma walked in carefully. She continued to dart her eyes towards him. "Do you want a drink?" he asked politely. Emma squinted at him in reply.

"What game are you playing?" she asked him. Her back was straight.

Again, Joey shrugged. "What makes you think I'm playing a game?" To his credit, he looked perplexed.

Emma wasn't buying it. She glared. "You're being polite, and you are never polite so," she stalked up to him and stabbed him in the chest with her finger. "What game are you playing?" she punctuated each word with a stab.

Joey winced and on the last word, he grabbed her hand and pushed it away. "That hurts," he mumbled and moved past her. "And again, I'm not playing a game. I'm turning over a new leaf." He spoke over his shoulder as he moved towards a different room. Emma followed curiously. She watched him through wary eyes as he gathered glasses out of a cupboard in his kitchen. "Take a seat," he said with a nudge to a stool that was under his kitchen island.

Emma carefully pulled it out. She looked everywhere around the chair in case there was something on it. Joey watched and groaned from the fridge. "Really? Do you have that little faith in me?"

Emma snapped her head towards Joey. "I used to and then I found our I'm just a pawn in this game for you." She was still bitter about him being a participant in the contest.

Joey threw his hands up with a load moan. "I knew that would come up." He walked towards her and placed a wine glass in front of her. The rich ruby color beckoned her, but she wasn't brave enough to drink it. Joey ignored her and found a seat in front of her. "Now that the elephant has been acknowledged, let's talk about it."

Emma bristled. She wanted answers but when she was ready. She wanted to be in an environment where she felt secure and could control what was around her. She was too vulnerable there with him. She shook her head and reached for the glass. "No, let's ignore it." She downed half the glass in one sip.

"No, we're talking about it. If you don't want to talk, fine but, you will listen."

Emma covered her ears. "No, I don't want to hear it."

She turned her back to him. He moved towards her and spun her around with an irritated scowl. "Stop being a child!"

She dropped her hands. "Stop ignoring my request."

He rolled his eyes. "Stop avoiding this."

"Stop telling me what to do!"

He groaned aloud. "Fine. We're doing this the hard way then."

"Wha-" she didn't have time to finish her question. Suddenly she was upside down and thrown over Joey's shoulder. Her eyes were direct with his ass. She hated that it was an enticing sight. "What are you doing? Put me down!" she shrieked and banged her hands on his back. Joey ignored her and stalked into another room. With every heavy, angry step he took, Emma bounced uncomfortably against him. Eventually he stopped in the bedroom. He threw her on the bed and locked the door. "You're an animal," she snapped.

He stood large and predatory in front of her. "You either listen, or I will force you to listen."

She squished her eyes at him, daring him to make do on his threat. "You can't." She watched as he moved to his cupboard and reached inside towards the bottom. He dug around for a bit until he pulled away with a shout of cheer.

In his hands, were red, fluffy handcuffs. "Try me," he taunted.

Emma's mouth flew open and her eyes widened. "You wouldn't."