CHAPTER 13

They sat on the hood of Joey's car in the closest McDonald's parking lot. Joey hadn't had a problem with going to buy some food and now, each gifted with a full meal, they sat devouring their burgers. Emma felt ravenous. The oily chips and partly stale burger felt nostalgic and far better than the costly piece of bread she'd had earlier.

The moon was high in the sky and fully boasting its glory upon them while the stars were hidden by city lights and fog. Joey was quiet beside her, his mouth too busy chewing his large burger. In the moonlight, Joey looked younger and more innocent. If she didn't know him any better, she'd think he was a decent guy from how he looked. But he wasn't decent. He cared more about his career than what the competition was doing to her life.

"So," Joey announced suddenly. He turned his head in her direction and watched her curiously, his burger only a fraction away from his mouth. "What was so bad about the date?" he asked. His words were muffled by his food and barely audible.

Emma rolled her eyes and leaned away from him, feeling slightly grossed out by the pieces of lettuce falling past his lips. Joey caught it quickly before stuffing it back in his full mouth. "That's gross," she said. Joey shrugged and looked at her with an eyebrow raised. She sighed and put her half-eaten burger into its container as she tried to gather her thoughts.

"He seemed nice during his interview."

Joey snorted. "You just liked his dancing."

Emma blushed. "He was handsome too," she said. Joey made a strange grunting noise at her comment, but she ignored him. "It was just a strange night. The date started well enough. He complimented my outfit and spoke a bit about the clothing company he owns."

"Sounds okay enough," he grouched.

"Well, that's when it turned sour. Turns out his ex-wife and he went into business together and when they divorced - after she cheated on him - she took half his money."

"Tough break. Still, I wouldn't say it reaches the top 10 on the list of bad dates."

"Oh really," she challenged and turned a bit to see him more comfortably. "He spent the entire night raging on about what a horrible woman his ex is. I couldn't say anything the entire time, not that he was probably interested. Oh, and to top it all off, he chose the damn restaurant, which is expensive as hell, and then asked me to pay our bill."

Joey spat out what was left of his burger. "He made you pay?" he asked appalled.

She shrugged. "I wouldn't have minded going half or each of us paying for our portions but, he chose a damn $100 piece of salmon and made me pay." She crossed her arms over her chest and even pouted. Joey simply laughed at her.

"What a night." That was putting it mildly. Joey suddenly moved to put his small piece his burger in the container and jumped off the hood. He looked up at her, a bright mischievous smile on his face and reached his hand out to her. "What do you say we go and end the night off on a better note?"

She smirked at him and glanced between his hand and face. "What's better than this?" she gestured to their surroundings.

He frowned. "Oh, come on. This is great and all but, you're in a stunning dress, and looking like you do, you shouldn't be wasting your night out at a fast-food parking lot."

She blushed and very slowly moved her burger container off her lap, next to his. She reached for his hand and let him help her to the ground. When her feet were safely on the ground, her hand still in his, she smiled up at him and said, "lead the way."

His sneaky smirk said everything.

~~***~~

Twenty minutes later, Joey parked the car down a busy street deep in the city. He looked at her in excitement. Emma didn't know the area too well. She was a little hesitant to step out the car into the dark and scary looking street.