CHAPTER 31

The next morning, Emma heard her evening replayed on national radio. The team at Studio 769 had a lot of editing to do. Emma suggested they just omit her conversation with Eamon but, Linda was determined to use it. She said the honesty in the conversation was something the listeners needed to hear. Emma agreed so long as no one admitted she was speaking to her Prince Charming.

Emma had continued to smile as she listened to the playback. Their conversation had turned playful towards the end of the evening. They drank together and even flirted some. Larissa never came up and Emma loved it. Her night with Eamon had given her a new resolve. She was more determined to move past the contest and move on to him. She was more determined to make him hers.

She just wasn't sure how to go about it yet.

Her recording ended and the hosts were taking calls. A caller named Amelia was the first to go on air. "Good morning Amelia. Tell us your thoughts on Juliet's evening."

The woman squealed. "I actually need to fan myself. Things are getting interesting." The radio hosts laughed.

"Are you voting for Jeff?" asked Taylor.

"No," the woman said quickly. "I'm not feeling their chemistry. I think they'd make good friends but, he isn't her Romeo."

"I agree," said Joey. Emma shook her head and took the off ramp.

"You're just saying that because you want to win," said Amelia with a laugh.

"I do. I'd love for Juliet to choose me."

Linda hummed. "Are understanding this correctly. Has the city's most popular bachelor finally chosen to give up his title?"

Emma could hear Joey snigger. "I can't say that until Juliet chooses me but," he sighed. "I'd give up my title for her any day."

Emma blushed. Her heart pounded louder than the squeals that came from her radio. She knew Joey was simply playing his part for the show. Still, she couldn't stop her heart from wishing it were a little true. The call ended and a new caller came on air.

"Hi there Stacy. Tell us your thoughts on Juliet's evening."

"I'm disappointed that she spent most of her time with another man. It sounded like they were flirting at one point." Emma blushed. They had been. "I got the feeling they knew each other well. He spoke about her mother," the caller trailed off.

"You are right," answered Linda carefully. "No one had anticipated Juliet meeting someone she knows on these dates. Our mystery man was one. To keep her identity a secret, we altered his voice too. They were both surprised to see each other at the barbeque but, he was a good sport. He didn't give away her real identity."

"I got the feeling Juliet liked this guy. I'm wondering if perhaps he's her Prince Charming." Emma gulped. She'd hoped no one would figure it out.

"If her were, do you think he's a good fit for Juliet?" asked Joey. Emma wanted to kill him. She couldn't understand why he was entertaining the thought.

The caller was quiet for a moment. "No, I don't," she eventually answered. "They had good chemistry, but it didn't feel romantic. I'm still rooting for Juliet and Joey." Emma rolled her eyes. Of course, she was. It seemed the whole city was.

Joey cheered. "I like you. We'll have to see how Leonard from Quick Dates does first. Juliet's date is with him tonight."

~~***~~

Emma drove from Charles' place to Leonard's that afternoon. She'd used Gina's bathroom to change into something more appropriate for her date. She even got the frail woman's approval. Emma found herself in front of a large apartment building in the city center by the time the sun had set. It shouldn't surprise her that Leonard lived in the better side of the city. Emma had stopped being surprised by the wealth of the bachelors after her night with Jeff. It was strange that the rich men were the ones competing for love. Emma had always been naïve to believe only poor people were desperate for love. The contest had done a lot for chasing away her stereotypes and judgement.