CHAPTER 33

Emma was surprised by the comfort and warmth that surrounded her. A weight rest across her midsection. Her eyes caught the simple navy tones of the room and she remembered it all. A moan came from behind her and the arm pulled her tighter. She grinned despite her best effort not to.

"It's too early," mumbled Joey.

Emma snickered and rolled over awkwardly so she could face him. His eyes were closed tight. "It's your alarm that went off, not mine."

Joey grumbled. "I don't want to get up. I'm too cozy." She smiled and reached her hand forward to flick him on his nose. Joey's eyes opened in shock. "What the hell was that for?"

She shrugged. "It was right there, begging for me to flick it."

He looked bewildered. "Who stares at a nose and thinks to flick it?"

Emma laughed but Joey seemed too tired to find the humor in it all. They had only fallen asleep past midnight. They were too busy with a marathon of superhero movies. Emma leaned forward and carefully kissed him on his nose. Joey's frown instantly brightened to a grin. "There, now it's all better," she cooed.

"My lips hurt too," he said slyly.

She chuckled. "Nice try." She turned on her back and pushed the blanket off her body. Joey moaned but she ignored him. She started looking around for her things. "We both need to get to work."

"I don't wanna," mumbled Joey with his head stuck in a pillow. Emma looked at him and found she rather enjoyed the childish side to him. He made her smile.

She leaned over his bare back so that she could reach his ear. "Come on, I'll make breakfast." She kissed his shoulder. Just as she suspected, Joey shot around wide awake. She stood up from the bed and walked towards Joey's kitchen. Emma couldn't cook well but she knew how to fry up an egg and put on toast. Joey disappeared and when Emma heard water running, she knew he'd gone to shower. She hoped she had time to shower at her own place. She wasn't quite ready for that stage with Joey. Sharing his bed had been a challenge already. If it weren't for Joey having no other option, Emma wouldn't have considered it at all.

Joey swayed into the kitchen a few minutes later. His eyes were bright, and he was dressed in dark jeans with a satin white shirt. Emma was stunned by the sight. White really was a good color on him. She watched him smirk and point to the stove. "Careful there Em. Your eggs are burning." She ducked her head quickly and scooped the eggs onto a plate. Joey found his seat and licked his lips at the meal. "Thanks," he said before devouring his food. Emma sat across from him and joined in. "You want to use my shower?" he asked.

Emma shook her head. "I'll shower at my place. My things are there." Joey shrugged and continued to eat.

Joey had finished his plate first. He crossed his arms and looked towards her seriously. "Considering what happened with Leonard last night, I think it's fair to say I've won." Emma shook her head with a smile. She ignored him and continued to eat. Joey whined at her silence. "Come on," he said. He leaned across the counter. "I'm the best option anyway."

"I don't know," she said with a grin. "Leonard is handsome." She pretended to be thinking.

Joey scoffed. "He's more of a Casanova than me."

She laughed. "I know what to expect with him at least." Joey's mood dipped. Emma regretted her words instantly. "I'm sorry. I didn't me-"

"No," he interrupted. "I get it. You don't trust me yet."

She sighed and pushed her plate aside. She stood up and took a deep breath in. She was never one to be brave with her feelings. Sometimes, she knew she needed to be. She walked up to Joey and pushed his legs apart. She fit between them and laid her arms over the back of his shoulders. She bent down and kissed him once on the lips. "I want to believe you. I do."

"Then what's the problem?" he asked. His hands were on his own legs.

Emma didn't like that he wouldn't touch her. "I'm scared to. I don't know how to shake him."

"Eamon?" he asked.

She nodded. "It feels safer to love him instead of someone new. At least I know where I stand with Eamon. I wish it could be better but, loving him also means I don't get hurt. I can keep loving him from afar and living in my fantasies. It's easier to never make it real. When it's real, there's a chance I can get hurt. Whether it's with you or Eamon."

Joey sighed. His hands moved to wrap around her waist. He pulled her in closer. She felt him kiss her cheek softly. He then moved on to her neck. He pulled away and looked into her eyes. "I understand your fear but it's no way to live. It stops you from experiencing heartbreak sure but, you never experience love either."

Emma stared at him. She'd never looked at it that way before. "It isn't easy to move on from it."

"I know. All I need you to do is ask for help." He grinned up at her.

"How are you supposed to help me?"

"I just want a chance Em. Let me show how much better reality is than your lonely fantasy."

She gulped. His words were enticing. "That easy, huh?"

He laughed. Lines appeared at the corners of his eyes. "That easy gorgeous. So," he pecked her lips. "What do you say?"

She mulled over his words. She wanted what he promised. She wanted to experience love. She felt something for him. She couldn't deny it anymore. Joey made her feel alive. She worried he'd hurt her but, she couldn't shake him either. She felt torn between Joey and Eamon. Eamon felt like a connection to a past life. He was safe. She knew him and his life. She understood him. Joey was an enigma.

"I'm in." she said.

"Then it's time you met my family."