CHAPTER 5

Emma couldn't fight her curiosity, though every shred of common sense warned her to. She knew how the saying went, she just hoped she wasn't the cat in all this. She had work the next day and rightfully so she should be in bed, warm and ready for sleep. Instead, she was back at Billy's. She was back to where it all began but she was smarter this time. If she were going to be meeting Joey again, she had to make sure she stayed away from the alcohol.

"How you doing Emma?" Billy greeted her. He stood in front of her table leaning against the side of the chair where Joey would soon be. His thick muscled arm which was sleeved in a variety of tattoos, was crossed over his chest. He was dressed sophisticatedly in smooth blue dress pants and a white shirt that stuck out brightly against his charcoal skin. He looked every bit the serious business owner she knew him to be. He also looked like the bar bouncer which always worked in his favor on weekends.

She smiled up at him before standing and giving him a tight hug. "I'm doing alright Uncle Billy. How are you?"

When they pulled apart, he shrugged. "You know me niece, breaking hearts and stealing cash." He smiled and a thick gold tooth flashed in the bar's lights.

She shook her head. "Better be careful saying that too loudly."

He looked unfazed. "I'm smart." She hummed, unsure what to say in answer. She didn't have the best relationship with him. "Stay safe alright. Order what you like, it's on me tonight."

"I'm meeting someone here," she answered.

His back was half turned but he shrugged. "Don't matter. Let Steph know alright." She nodded and watched him leave, shaking hands with different men and women along the way. He was a natural charmer, just like someone else she knew.

"Whoa, you know Billy?" Speak of the devil. She rolled her eyes and turned around to find Joey staring wistfully to where her uncle had just been. She ignored his awe and moved to take her seat again. He shook his head and stared back at her, his eyes wide and his mouth hung open. "How do you know Billy Mann?"

"How do you know him?" she asked curiously.

He took his seat across her and laid his hands flat on the table. "Who doesn't? He's one of the most successful businessmen in the city, owning half the bars and clubs. And, let's not forget his infamous reputation. It's alleged his part of an illegal drug trade and weapons dealing syndicate." Joey's voice lowered considerably at the end of his sentence as his face changed from awe to worry. Emma rolled her eyes. She knew well enough of the rumors about her uncle. Most were true and made him a man to fear.

"Are we going to talk about this idea, or what?" she asked, trying to change the topic. Joey was having none of it.

"Did he proposition you? Is that why he was here?" he looked on the defense. She'd be flattered were it anyone else.

"It's nothing like that," she muttered. A throat cleared and they looked next to them to see the bar manager- Steph - with a smile on her face. The toffee-colored woman wore her signature pencil skirt and black, low-cut blouse. She was dressed impeccably as what Billy would demand of her.

"Hi, Emma. Your uncle says anything you order tonight is on the house. He wanted me to make sure that I deliver your things to you." When Joey gasped, Emma ducked her head. She just wanted to slide under the table. Weird sounds were coming out of Joey and when she looked, it was almost enough to make her smile. He looked well and truly flabbergasted. She looked next to her and quickly muttered, "just get me a water and him a shot of tequila." Joey suddenly squeaked. "Might need to make that two," she said quickly to Steph. The woman nodded and then walked away, leaving Emma with a frazzled Joey.