CHAPTER 12

Time passed quickly and Emma felt relaxed as she watched the radio hosts work on her while they chatted. Eventually, they'd allowed her to dress and see a mirror for the first time in two hours. She wasn't sure what to expect. Linda and Taylor had style, that much was obvious but, Emma lacked the body and personality for style. They could work all their magic and Emma knew she'd still look like a toad.

"Alright, are you ready?" asked Linda. Taylor had her hands over Emma's eyes. When Emma nodded, the hands moved. Emma's eyes fluttered open cautiously. When her eyes fell on her image, she gasped. It had taken them a while but, they'd finally found a dress Emma approved off. It was a beautiful pistachio dress that fit comfortably around her chest and hung delicately down to the floor. It had no fancy sparkles or design; it was simply a soft flowing dress that she felt comfortable in. Emma remembered feeling like she was covered in a cloud when she'd first tried on.

Looking into the mirror, Emma knew she picked the right dress. She'd looked plain in it when she'd first found it. Now, with her hair straightened and flowing in chestnut strands down her face, it glowed. Her face was evenly toned with a light dusting of natural brown by her eyes and a bright red set of lips. It all worked together so well. Emma was speechless.

She felt elegant for the first time in her life. She'd never been one who men turned their heads for. Dressed the way she was, she felt she could stop traffic without even trying. Emma was surprised by how much she liked feeling beautiful. She actually looked like she was related to someone as beautiful as Larissa.

"I don't even look like me," she whispered. She touched her hair. She couldn't stop playing with it.

Linda moved behind her and squeezed her shoulder. "Of course, you do. All the make-up and hair products in the world don't make you beautiful. They just highlight what's already there." Emma disagreed but the words did bring some comfort.

"We need to go," Taylor gently reminded them. Emma nodded. She gathered her things and left the room. She walked towards the living room where Joey had been left with Linda's husband. Emma had met the man when they arrived, and she was shocked to discover he was a lanky man of Asian descent. She shouldn't have been surprised but sometimes her own bias got the better of her.

Emma's eyes first sought out Joey when she entered the room. He was lounged on the sofa with a beer in his hand and his head thrown back in laughter. Donnie sat beside him, smiling. When Emma's heels made a loud thump on the hardwood floor, Joey's head shot around to her. Whatever he'd been laughing at, had been forgotten in an instant. He'd frozen in place.

"Wow," he said and rose to his feet. Emma felt like she was in a trance as she walked towards him. His eyes never left hers. "You look amazing."

"Doesn't she," Taylor chirped proudly. "I am good."

Joey ignored her like he often did and continued to stare at Emma. "You're stunning."

"Thank you," she whispered, a little embarrassed by all the attention. "Do you think my date will like it?"

Joey's face changed instantly. His eyes lost its sparkle and his lips tightened. He shrugged in answer and walked back to the sofa, reached for his beer, and downed the entire bottle. Everyone else in the room stared in confusion. He ignored them all.

"Right," Linda said with a clap of her hands. "We should be going." She looked to Joey and asked hesitantly, "are you coming?" He shook his head. The answer disappointed Emma. She wasn't sure why. Her relationship with Joey was a peculiar one. If they weren't drunk together, they were sniping at each other instead. Still, Emma wasn't sure she could face Will Boseman without Joey's support. He'd got her in the mess after all.