CHAPTER 6

She crept in slowly, more from lack of effort than the intention to go unnoticed. When she rounded the corner, she smiled. Her mother sat in her sweats, the right leg hanging like a deflated balloon. She wore a bright yellow top that shone as bright as her smile. Emma walked towards her mother and kissed her cheek. "Hey, momma. You're looking good today."

Allison smiled. "I'm feeling good. You on the other hand look like you've taken a tumble under my wheels."

Emma laughed tiredly. "I've just got a lot on my mind." She hadn't been able to stop thinking about Joey's proposition. It helped nothing that he'd brought it up again on his show. Members of the public had called in begging for more on the story.

Her mother hummed. "Anything you want to share?"

Emma would never. "No ma, I'm alright."

Allison didn't look like she believed her. "The last time you said that you-"

Emma groaned. "Wound up in a jail cell, I know."

Her mother smacked her knee. "Don't get smart with me young lady. When it comes to you, I can't help but worry."

Emma rolled her eyes. "It wasn't anything serious."

"You were caught stealing. That is serious."

"It's not on my record."

"You're just lucky Billy didn't want to lay charges."

"He found it funny, so should you."

Allison shook her head. "There is nothing funny about stealing a bottle of rum because you were dared to."

Emma tried to hide her grin. "I wasn't in a good place at the time. Besides, I was young, foolish, and already drunk!" She lost her control and chuckled a bit. Her mother glared.

"You and your inability to avoid dares," she tutted. "One day it'll get you into a lot of trouble and then you'll be sorry."

Emma sobered up quickly. If only her mother knew the truth. It was already too late for her. She never could back down from a dare and now she was in a lot of trouble.

"Whatever," she said suddenly and shook her head.

"Come on Emma, what's really going on?" her mother asked again.

Emma nibbled her lip. She wanted to talk about it but if her mother knew the truth, disaster would ensue. Emma tried a different tactic instead. "Is it good to do something even if you know the odds aren't in your favor?"

Allison looked at her oddly and then shrugged. "Sometimes we only think the odds are against us because of our insecurities."

"But what if it isn't your insecurities? What if you know the odds are against you? Should you go for it anyway?"

"If it's illegal, no."

"Mom," Emma whined, and Allison laughed.

"I'm kidding. Honestly, sweetie, sometimes the experience is worth far more than the outcome. If you know the odds are against you, then you have nothing to lose. Might as well enjoy the ride."

Emma pulled back in shock. She hadn't expected anything like that from her mother. "Even if it's illegal," Emma teased. Her mother smacked her arm.

"Don't even go there."

"Relax, Uncle Billy already scared me from that path."

"Good," her mother muttered.

Emma looked around the room and then asked, "Where's daddy?"