CHAPTER 22

They were in trouble.

Joey said nothing and instead looked to her. Emma looked at him and hoped he had a plausible answer. His wide eyes said he didn't. Flying cows.

"What's going on?" Emma's mother asked from her side of the bed. She was looking between Emma and Joey, her dark eyes calculating as only a mother can do. The nurse had made her escape. Emma wished she could go with. She didn't want to be there.

"I'd like to know too," Larissa snapped from the foot of the bed. Eamon stood beside her dressed in sleek gray work pants, a tight navy collared shirt, and his crisp white lab coat. His eyes were still and pointed towards Joey. To Joey's credit, he appeared unfazed by the unwanted attention.

"Emma," her father called her attention. She looked up at him and saw the worry in his eyes and how it added crinkles to his skin. She sighed. She'd never been one to lie to her parents, nor had she ever been one to be vindictive. Larissa held that title. Emma wasn't sure she ever wanted to take part in her sisters' game. Though, given the circumstances, Emma knew if she went along with the lie, she'd finally have one up on the glorious Larissa and flying cows wouldn't she like to see her face.

Alas, Emma could never stomach it.

She looked at her parents and shook her head. "We aren't engaged. It's just what we told Dr. Peters, so he'd allow Joey in here with me." All eyes turned to Joey. He drifted towards Emma until he on the other side of her bed. His hands kept clenching into fists. Emma wondered if it were a tic or if Joey was trying to stop himself from doing something he knew he shouldn't.

Emma's father looked at Joey with his back straighter. Emma knew that look. He was trying to play the role of a serious and murderous father. Emma rolled her eyes at that. "And who exactly are you?" Larry asked.

Joey took the intimidation in stride and willfully stuck his hand out towards Larry. He smiled brightly and answered, "Joey Levy, sir."

Emma expected the gasp before it happened. What she hadn't expected was for Larissa to drop Eamon's hand and rush to Joey's side. She grabbed him by the arm and swung him around to face her. She looked star-struck. She battered her eyelashes at him and gripped his forearm tight. "You're the Joey Levy from Radio 769?"

Joey looked uncomfortable. He pulled his lips, and his eyes kept darting between Emma and Larissa. He knew their history; he knew what game her sister liked to play. Emma silently prayed that he'd do the right thing. Joey looked behind Larissa where Eamon stood with a small frown on his face. Emma looked at him too. It didn't surprise her that Eamon stood calm and collected while his girlfriend openly gushed over a different man. Eamon didn't seem capable of anger. With Larissa, he knew what she was like and seemed to accept it years ago. Emma never understood it. She'd always been jealous in relationships and if she were in Eamon's place, she wasn't sure she'd have stuck around as long as he had.

Joey carefully pulled his arm out of Larissa's grip and took a step back. "Yeah, I'm that Joey," he answered slowly. If Larissa noticed the space he put between them, she didn't show it. She bulldozed on.

"How do you know my plain jane sister?" she asked.

Emma ignored the comment. It wasn't the first time her sister had referred to her in such a way. To some extent, Larissa was right. Emma wasn't one to go out and see the world, meet new people, and live life without worries. She wasn't one to dress up and grab the attention she wanted. Emma had responsibilities, and she proffered to stand in the background, making sure she and those around her lived.

"We met at Billy's," Joey answered.

"So, you're the friend who got her into Studio 7?" Joey nodded and Larissa's eyes widened. Emma was quietly enjoying the shock on her sisters' face. Take that, Larissa.