CHAPTER 18

The week passed uneventfully for Emma. She refused to listen to The Morning Round-Up and instead tried to put her focus towards her job. Her Monday had been a bad start to the week, and it was made even worse when she'd arrived to see Gina having a bad day. Since then, Gina had been sleeping more and more throughout the day and by Wednesday, she'd reached the point where she could no longer hold her food down. Emma knew what it meant, and it worried her. By Friday, Emma knew that what Gina needed most was an in-house visit from her doctor.

When Charles had arrived early that afternoon, as he usually did, Emma left for Fairview Hospital. It was the biggest private hospital in the city and one, coincidentally, Eamon's father had founded. She knew he'd be there, doing his usual round of consultations. She considered sneaking him a visit.

For a moment, Emma wondered if visiting Eamon would go against the rules. Despite the kind of sister Larissa showed herself to be, Emma never wanted to be the same. If she were going to get Eamon away from him, she'd want it to be fair. She didn't want to have to fight. Then again, simply speaking to him couldn't be considered fighting and she couldn't consider it as her trying to steal him.

She smiled as the hospital came into view. She was going to do it.

~~***~~

The visit to Gina's Oncologist was hard. Emma knew what would come but she'd hoped the doctor had better news. Telling Charles would be hard. After hearing Dr. Malory's bad news, Emma was desperate for something good. A visit to Eamon was her only hope. She needed the pick-me-up and Eamon's face was a perfect choice.

She rounded the last corner and came face to face with his reception area. She smiled at Kate. Kate's gentle smile flew back at her and Emma already felt better. Kate was always so bubbly and sweet. It helped to put patients at ease. She had the perfect doting mother personality and she looked the part well with her short, to-the-neck haircut and her pastel flower blouse. She was nearing retirement age, but Emma was sure Eamon would keep her on for as long as possible. Kate was more a mother to him than his own.

"Emma it's so good to see you!" gushed Kate. She stood up from behind the counter and came to give Emma a hug which she accepted greedily. "It's been too long. You need to visit more."

Emma laughed. "I know. Things have been a little crazy for me."

Kate nodded in understanding. "I get it dear. It just isn't the same since you left this place."

Emma shrugged. "I know but, I needed a change."

"Well, that I understand. So," she said as she sat back in her seat. "Can I assume you're not here just to see dear old me."

She smiled. "I came to see Eamon. Is he available?"

Kate smirked. "You're in luck. He's got an hour break before his next patient. You can go on through. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you."

"Thanks, Kate," she called over her shoulder as she walked down the small, carpeted hallway towards Eamon's office. When she reached his grey door, she knocked.

"Come in," he called. Emma hesitantly opened the door and then smiled when she caught him at his desk, a bowl of salad in front of him.

"Hi, I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

He shook his head, put his fork down, and smiled. He stood up and greeted her with a hug. Emma was surprised when she felt his arms wrap around her shoulders. She could feel his body gently press against the front of hers. He hadn't hugged her so intimately since dating Larissa. She forgot how much she used to love it.

When he pulled away, he gestured to the seat in front of her. "This is a wonderful surprise. To what do I owe this pleasure?" His smile was the brightest she'd seen in a while. He wore his usual white lab coat with a shiny metallic blue collared shirt underneath. He wore no tie and the two buttons that opened under his chin had Emma's brain in a mess.