CHAPTER 16

"I think you'll love this," said Joey. He stood in front of a dingy steel door that was deep down an alleyway. Emma stood close to him. Nothing about her surroundings gave her hope of something great behind the door. Joey's smile said otherwise. "Trust me." They'd already had a wonderful lunch; Emma didn't need more. Joey felt otherwise and so, he'd dragged her across the street. Now all she felt was uncertain.

"I'm not sure this is a good thing. Maybe I should just go back home. They're probably finished brunch." She looked over her shoulder. Random passersby scurried past the entrance. No one paid them attention; everyone was too busy trying to get where they needed to be.

"I thought you were brave," said Joey. He was baiting her. She knew it.

She crossed her arms. "I think the word you're looking for is reckless. Brave is the one thing I am not."

He laughed. "Then be reckless with me." He leaned in close and quirked a brow. "There's more fun on the dark side."

She shook her head. Her lips twitched but she bit back the urge to smile. "You're only giving me more reason to worry."

He faked offense and gasped dramatically. "I think the word you're looking for is excited."

Emma pursed her lips. "Why are we here?"

Joey grinned and turned back to the door. "You need a pick me up and this place, is notorious for that." He knocked thrice heavily on the steel door before a skinny black woman pulled it open. Emma first saw dainty fingers surrounded by gold bands before she saw the body. The women wore tiny denim shorts that curved over her rear and showed the edges of her cheeks. Her slim waist was exposed along with her belly button where a small stud twinkled in the afternoon sun. There was still a winter chill in the air, but she dressed like it was already July.

"Joey," she greeted. Her voice was rough and her face, stoic as she stared at the man in front of her. Emma didn't know their relationship, but the woman gave no indication it was a good one.

"Jamil, how've you been?" asked Joey. He wasn't perturbed by her stiff features.

The woman shrugged and her weave swayed behind her back. Emma thought that, despite her apathetic expression, she was beautiful. She spared a quick glance at Emma and then she turned around. The door remained open, but she'd disappeared deeper into the room. "Come on," said Joey. He grabbed her hand and pulled her into the room. Discolored lights cast of a misty atmosphere into the small hallway they entered. No natural light filtered inside, and Emma had to squint her eyes at the sudden contrast. Slowly, the hallway started expanding the more they walked until Joey stopped.

Emma's mouth fell open. She'd never seen anything like it.

"Worth it right?" He was smirking.

"How did you find out about this place?"

"I love music. Before I got the job at Radio 769, I used to frequent places like this. They're hidden gems and you won't believe the talent you can find here."

Emma couldn't stop looking around her. Tiny round tables filled random spaces and small booths filled the corners. Up ahead there was a small, raised platform that had been turned into a makeshift stage. On the stage, a young man picked lightly on his guitar strings. The microphone pointed at his hands filtered the gentle blue's rhythm across the room. The more Emma looked, the more her eyes spotted odd tables accompanied by head-popping patrons.

"What is this place?" she asked in wonder. She could feel the music begin its travel to her body. Her hips itched to sway, but she held back.

"It's a bar but with open mic. The owner, Trent, is known for having an incredible music ear. He only let's real talent play on his stage. Trent has built himself such a reputation that music execs and talent agents come here for clients. It's the worst kept secret in the music industry." He laughed and stared at the stage. Emma watched him move his neck slowly along to rhythm.