CHAPTER 28

"Now that you've chosen your bachelors," continued Linda, ignoring Emma's sly comment. Linda's sour expression meant she sensed the tension between Emma and Joey. "We need to discuss the next step."

"What would that be?" asked Emma.

"We had asked our listeners to suggest a challenge or date idea for you to experience with each man. There was one choice that surpassed the others in votes."

Emma groaned. "I'm not sure I even want to hear it."

Linda laughed at looked at Taylor expectantly. The woman pursed her thick glossed lips, rolled her eyes, and then said unenthusiastically into the mic, "they voted for you spend one full day and, night with each bachelor."

Emma's shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "What's the purpose of this next step?"

"Our listeners are the ones who will choose which man should compete against Prince Charming. As of now, they don't know very much about the men or your chemistry with them. This is why you'll be spending a day with each and we'll be documenting the whole thing for our listeners."

Fear sizzled through Emma. If they were documenting everything, it meant her secret would be exposed. "How are you going to ensure my identity remains hidden?"

Linda pursed her lips. "We'll be recording audio only and yours will be altered before it's played for the public."

Emma sighed. At least she had hope of still keeping her admiration a secret. There was one thing that still bothered her. "Why was Joey picked?"

She looked at Joey and saw him roll his eyes. He wasn't forthcoming about the development. She hoped his co-hosts were. Linda looked behind Emma towards where Toby stood. Emma assumed he approved. "The public are demanding someone tame the wild man that is Joey. So, that's what we're doing." It wasn't a romantic notion Emma hoped for, or even one that gave her an inclination of his feelings. The revelation saddened her more. Moving on, she chose to focus on the competition. The quicker she could finish it, the quicker she could move on with her life. "Alright," she said. "This sounds interesting enough. Which bachelor is first?"

"Jeff," answered Joey with a sneer. Emma didn't know what his problem was with Jeff.

She smiled towards Linda and, tried to appear excited. She wanted to annoy Joey further. After how much he'd humiliated her, she felt a bit vindictive. She laughed and said flirtatiously, "after the preview I got on our date, I think a day alone with him is going to be fun!"

"Yes! That's what we're hoping for," cheered Linda.

Taylor laughed and looked towards Joey challengingly. "It looks like you've got some competition there, Joey."

Joey scoffed and sat up straighter. "What? We're talking about the same little man who let her fall down a mountain and hit her head." He rolled his eyes. "He isn't competition."

"What makes you so certain?" Emma taunted.

"I'm better looking-"

"Debatable," she answered.

"I'm taller." She kept quiet. "I can protect you better-"

She scoffed. "You're only basing that on the knowledge that you got to me first on the mountain. It doesn't mean he isn't capable."

Joey turned to face her completely and rolled his eyes. "The man didn't even try."

"You didn't let him." Joey squeezed his lips. He looked frustrated and it made Emma grin wider.

"Oh look," Linda interrupted quickly. "We have a caller. Hi, there Meryl."

"Hi," a woman answered excitedly. "I just wanted to say that I'm team Jet all the way."