you're scared of flying

A vacation with Madison originally sounded like a dream. After being so stressed out for so long, you could definitely use some time to unwind, and what better way to do that than with your girlfriend?

You figured she'd opt for something not far away. Maybe somewhere you could drive to. But no. She surprised you with two tickets to the Maldives; somewhere far away from home, a place you'd have to fly to.

You went back and forth on the thought of telling her, but you ultimately decided not to. You figured you could handle it. You talked to your friends who gave you some encouragement and reminded you how worthwhile it would be.

But now, as you stand in the center of the airport with Madison, you realize how truly freaked out you are. Your hand is shaking terribly and Madison could see it, and feel it as it was intertwined with her own. "Y/n? Are you okay?"

You swallowed thickly and hesitantly nodded your head. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath, trying to convince yourself that it was all gonna be okay. But your anxious brain was racing and when you heard the announcement over the loudspeaker that the plane would be boarding soon, you began to panic.

Madison quickly caught on and guided you over to an empty set of chairs. She knelt on the floor in front of you and squeezed your hands. "Y/n, it's okay. Tell me what's wrong." You caught your breath and took a few swigs of the water she offered you. "I'm scared."

She furrowed her eyebrows slightly. "Of what?"

You just stared at her nervously and waited for her to catch on, which didn't take long. "You're scared of flying?" You nodded and then lowered your gaze to rest on your shoes. "Why didn't you tell me? Y/n I would've booked something closer to home."

You kept your head lowered until she lifted your chin, giving you no choice but to stare into her worried eyes. "I don't know. I thought I could handle it. I didn't wanna ruin our vacation."

"Y/n, you didn't ruin anything. You're just afraid and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone is scared of something. I'm not gonna hold that against you or think of you differently just because you're scared to fly."

You cracked a small smile. "Really?"

She kissed your hand softly. "Really. If you don't wanna go, you tell me right now and we can go home and we'll find somewhere else to go."

You heard the announcement over the loudspeaker once more, this time to say that your flight was now boarding. You looked at Madison, something in her eyes making you feel safer and calmer than you felt before. "You'll stay next to me the whole time?"

She smiled but nodded her head. "I'm gonna be right next to you. I won't go anywhere, I promise."

You let out a shaky breath and gave her hand a squeeze. "I wanna go."

"You're sure?"

You nodded. "I'm sure."

She gave you a quick kiss before pulling you up by your hand. "I'm proud of you. It's gonna be just fine. We're gonna have so much fun!" She promised you as she pulled you against her side and you boarded the plane just a few minutes later.

It wasn't nearly as bad as you thought it would be. Madison kept you entertained the entire time and when you landed just hours later, you felt so proud of yourself for going through with it.

With Madison by your side, you could do anything.