she comes home to find you asleep

Madison let out a deep sigh as she closed the door behind her. Leaning against it, she dropped her shoulders in relief, happy to be home after a long and tiring day.

The sound of the tv coming from the living room caught her attention. She could hear the theme song of your favorite show beginning to play. Glancing at the clock on the wall she saw it was after midnight and she figured you'd be sleeping by now.

She slowly entered the living room. Her heart melted at the sight of you curled up on the couch. The blanket was over your shoulders and the remote was close to the edge of the couch, beginning to slip from your fingertips.

She tiptoed over to you and carefully pulled it out of your hands, flipping the tv off and then setting the remote on the table. She admired you for a moment; taking time to catch up on the things her busy schedule pulls her away from too quickly and causes her to miss out on sometimes, such as watching you sleep peacefully.

She brushed her fingers through your hair. She could tell you had taken a shower earlier, she could smell the sweet scent of your shampoo in your hair. She couldn't stop herself from leaning forward to kiss your cheek, which caused you to awake.

"Hey, honey. I'm sorry I woke you up."

You stretched your legs out as her hand traveled gently along your face. You wrapped your fingers around it, bringing her palm to your lips to plant a few sweet kisses across it. "It's okay. What time is it?"

"Nearing one am. I'm sorry I'm just now getting home."

You shook your head, not wanting to hear her apologies again. You know it's not her fault and you won't hold her busy schedule against her. "Don't worry about it. You're home and that's all that matters. Are you tired?"

She dropped her forehead against your arm, looking up at you as she tiredly nodded. "I'm exhausted."

That was all you needed to hear. You got up and took her hand in yours, gently intertwining your fingers with hers as you began to walk up the stairs with her behind you. You soon reached the bedroom and laid down, pulling the blankets on her side up for her to climb under.

She changed and brushed her teeth before joining you under the blankets. She noticed you staring at her so she stared back at you with a sleepy smile. "I've missed you today."

You leaned forward to give her a kiss. "I've missed you too. You need to sleep now though."

She sighed, hating that you were right. She has to be up in a few hours and she knows unlike the hours she spends at the studio or working on other things, these ones will fly by. "I know. Just think, I've got a bunch of days off coming up soon."

You put your head on her chest, smiling up at her with tired but happy eyes. "I can't wait." She cupped your face, stealing a few more kisses before she turned off the lamp and put her head back on the pillows.

"I love you so much." She whispered, quickly falling asleep.

"I love you too." You mumbled back to her, already half asleep from the sound of her soft and steady heartbeat.