she forgets your birthday

The excitement and happiness you once felt had dwindled.

You woke up to an empty bed this morning. Thinking that Madison was just downstairs, maybe making you some breakfast to start off your birthday in a sweet way you excitedly raced downstairs only to find the house empty and her car gone.

There was no note. No text, no phone call. She had left you all alone on your birthday. You counted down the hours, watched the hands move on the clock, thinking it wouldn't be long till she arrived at home.

But as evening rolled around and the sun began to set, you realized that she had forgotten your birthday. Your friends and family called and sent message after message but it didn't seem to make you smile. Nothing could when the most important person to you had forgotten your birthday.

You sat on the couch and occupied yourself with reruns of your favorite show until the front door opened. Madison came inside with a long sigh. You heard her footsteps trail into the living room. "Y/n! Hey. How was your day?" She asked with a smile.

You turned the tv off and looked at her with an angry expression. Your eyebrows were knit together, you were in disbelief. "Awful."

"What? Why?" She wondered, trying to reach out to take your hand but you pulled away. You unlocked your phone and handed it to her, allowing her to read the messages from your family and friends.

"Oh, no..." She buried her head in her hands. "I can't believe I forgot. I'm so sorry, y/n." The closer she tried to get, the more you pushed her away. "I'm the worst girlfriend."

You didn't say a word.

"Y/n, nothing I say could ever make up for me forgetting the day. I swear that I never meant to. I just got busy with work but still, that's not an excuse. You're so important to me, y/n-"

"It doesn't feel like it." You muttered, breaking her heart. "All I wanted was to be with you."

Madison nodded, slowly reaching out to grab your hand. "I know. I'm so sorry, y/n. I really am and I'm not gonna sit here and make excuses because that's not what you deserve. What you deserve, at the very least, is for me to make this up to you. Please let me make it up to you, baby. Tomorrow, me and you. I'll take you out, anywhere you wanna go. We can do anything you want, anything at all."

You cracked a smile. "I just wanna be with you, Madison."

She slowly leaned her forehead against yours. She could still see the sadness in your eyes. "You've got me. I know I missed your birthday but it's not gonna happen again, not ever. I'll make it all up to you tomorrow if you'll let me."

You could tell she was being genuine and honest, so you leaned your head on her shoulder and nodded. "Okay."

She let out a breath of relief and planted a kiss to the top of your head. She looked up at the clock. It was just a couple of minutes till midnight and even though she missed it, she still had the chance to tell you happy birthday.

"I know it probably doesn't mean much now that I missed it, but it's still technically your birthday for a couple more minutes. So, happy birthday. I really am sorry but I love you so much and I promise that I'm gonna make it up to you, baby. I'm gonna make tomorrow amazing. It's all about you."

She stroked your cheek and you smiled a little. "I look forward to it. I love you too."