Almost Picture Perfect

Khadijah

I stared down at ten thousand dollars in drug money and yet all I could do is frown. This is not what I wanna be like at all.

I'm a grown ass woman but peer pressure is still a bitch!

"What, my money not good enough for you?" Malik scowled.

I forced a smile across my face. "Of course. It's nothing. Thank you." I said, slowly grabbing the money.

Malik looked like he was still trying to figure out what was wrong with me but I just want him to get out before my son wakes up.

"So," I said, standing up to walk him to the door. "Same time next week?"

Malik stared down at his cellphone but shrugged. "I might need you befo' then, ma. I'll let you know."

I nodded. "That's a'ight wit' me." As Malik walked away, I heard someone coming through the back door of my apartment.

I rolled my eyes and allowed my front door to swing itself closed. Then I walked back into the kitchen and looked at my boyfriend or baby daddy. Now in days, I'm not sure where we stand in each other lives.

"What's up?" He said counting the money that I had left on the table.

I ignored the fact that he was even there and searched the refrigerator for something to make my baby.

"You don't hear me talking to you?" I could feel his eyes burning a hole in the side of my head.

I closed the refrigerator door and looked at him. "Hi stranger." I mumbled while grabbing my cellphone to order pizza.

"What's yo problem now?" Devonté had the nerve to ask. I could see an argument starting so I locked myself in the bathroom just to order the damn pizzas.

When I walked out Devonté was waiting against the wall, texting on his phone.

"We've been here three weeks and you already neglecting yo family for them dirty ass, hoodrat ass hoes." I got straight to the point.

Devonté smirked. "Is that your problem fo'real?" I rolled my eyes and stared at him. "Ain't nobody neglecting you. I'm handling business."

That's his excuse for everything. "Whatever. I'm raising yo son by my damn self."

"Khadijah, what the fuck you expect me to do?" He asked, flexing his jaw bone.

"Be a father." I know he's doing me dirty but he doesn't have to neglect his only son--only child! "Check on yo child."

Devonté sighed and waved me off. "What the fuck does it look like I'm doing, D?"

"So, what do yo ass do when you not here?! I know you're fuckin' somebody because it ain't me! So, don't even lie."

He shook his head in disappointment. "I ain't fuckin' around on you." He lied with a straight face.

"I can't be with you no mo." I confessed.

He was took off guard by that but as soon as the words processed in his head he snapped.

"Bitch, who you fuckin'?" He grabbed me by my neck.

"No...no...nobody." I said, as my oxygen supply cut low. Tears ran down my cheek. "Devonté! Nobody."

He let me go but kind of pushed me back making me stumble into the wall. "They should've just killed yo ass." I said out of spite and clearly not thinking.

At that very moment, he slapped the spit out of me. I fell to the floor and crawled back.

Devonté stood there with his chest heaving up and down before shaking his head and turning towards Cease's room.

I collected myself and stood back up. He came out of the room with Cease, still sleeping, on his shoulder.

"Wha...what you doing?" I stuttered. Without answering he walked out of my front door, I guess forgetting he parked in the back.

After paying for the pizza, I didn't feel like eating. Instead I grabbed my purse, $500 cash, and slipped into some jogging pants.

I got into my car and drove just fifteen minutes up the street, praying that no one sees me.

For a second I hesitated because I know Devonté would kick my ass if he found out I was about to abort his baby. Right now, I don't have much of a choice.